We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

Peterborough
Level Contributor
324 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

We are traveling inter island a few times. Can we take a little fruit and vegetables in our checked in luggage?

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

If you really want to once you are within the state. You are not supposed to bring them into Hawaii though.

LA
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

You can't bring fruit or veg into Hawaii and there is an inspection when you depart Hawaii for the US mainland.

However, I don't think there are rules if you are transporting Hawaiian-bought fruits and vegetables from island to island.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

AFAIK there's no problem with taking fruit interisland if it's Hawaiian-bought. As noted, you can't bring anything in from outside Hawai`i.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

Between islands is fine, no AG inspection.

3Chihuahuas

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

There are certain areas, on certain islands, during certain times, where you are not supposed to transport certain plants into/through the District....

But there is zero enforcement (it depends on voluntary compliance) and they are not the type of plants a visitor would typically have.

So no worries.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
324 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

Thank you very much for your information. When in Rome........

Ron

No California
Level Contributor
241 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

We usually come to Hawaii for two weeks, spending the first week on the Big Island and sometimes the second week on the North Shore of Oahu. Papayas are much cheaper in Kailua-Kona than they are on the North Shore, so we always bring some with us.

But I do not trust them in checked luggage. I usually pack my non liquid perishables in a large insulated bag and use that as my carry on inter island.

8. Re: Traveling inter island-veg & fruits??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 07:18