We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

1 post
Save Topic
Weather

I am currently staying in Poipu and the rain has been coming down all night!! A look at the radar shows nothing anywhere else. Should we travel to the other sides of the island or will the rain follow us.

Also, We are doing Capt Andy's dinner cruise tonight, will it still go on if it is raining??

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

I wouldn't be surprised if Capt Andy's cancelled. I have heard another front is on the way tonight. I also see Kauai is under flash flood warnings.

www.google.org/publicalerts/alert…

Maybe go west.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

It is raining on the North Shore for sure. Check the weather map for west side but that looks fairly wet also.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

We have been playing the "drive to better weather" game for 10 days now, with no success whatsoever. To say we are extremely disappointed with the weather in Kauai would be a HUGE understatement.

We get the Garden Isl. thing, been here before, but in 11 days here so far we have cancelled 90% of our plans. I can count the sunny beach days with just one finger, and I don't need any fingers to count the sunsets as there has not been a single one.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is an island wide storm so it won't make any difference today to go out to the West Side - there is a severe storm warning here until 6pm - it has indeed been raining here in Po'ipu for a few days now and we are in a weather pattern that is bringing it in.

Just find a good indoor activity would be my suggestion - a good book and curling up on the couch is my plan for today - you are going to experience rain no matter where you go.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Flash flood warning too.

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php…

I sincerely doubt the dinner cruise will go out...hopefully you're on-island long enough to re-schedule. Good day for a movie. The Kaua‘i Museum and Grove Farm Homestead tour will be open tomorrow, though Grove Farm may cancel if the rain is really heavy.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

I also believe the storms are hitting other parts of the islands too.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

I'm pretty sure being on Kaua‘i even in rain, beats shoveling snow :)

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

There are some road closures in Koloa and the Hanalei Bridge has not closed yet, but I certainly wouldn't try and be on that side of the river.

You can also see some brown water so beware of those issues.

www.seehawaiilive.com/kauai/kauai-resorts

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

This is why they say the North Shore is the wettest area (Mt Waialeale) but note Kapahi (the hills of Kapaa) and Lihue has more rain than Hanalei. Hanalei gets the high water in the rivers because of the rain in the mountains.This is within the last 24 hours.

Mt. Wai'ale'ale - 5.65 inches

Kapahi - 5.15 inches

Blue Hole - 3.56 inches

Lihu'e - 2.47 inches

Po'ipu - 2.41 inches

Hanalei - 1.76 inches

Koke'e - 1.06 inches

Hanapepe - .74 inches

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather

hstony,

if youre one of those types were bad luck and bad weather follows, yes, go out to the otherside so others can get some sun.

also, the rain down there reminds me of taking a warm shower.