We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35 year anniversary trip

Shawnee, Ks
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
35 year anniversary trip

Greetings from Kansas City! I've been reading all of your posts for months and feel like I know you all. We are planning an anniversary trip may 2 - May 9,2014, and we need your help. We have booked a 1 bdrm condo (#19) at Poipu Kapili, booked a convertible through the very helpful folks at the condo and have our flights all booked. We need help with activities, places to eat, things to do. I did buy the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, but I really want your input as to our daily itinerary. We are both very active in great shape, mid 50's, and don't want to waste a minute of our time on the island! We want to snorkel, do some moderate hiking, take a boat excursion and enjoy great food & drink while we are there. We also need a romantic place for dinner on our actual anniversary (May 5)! Any suggestions/ideas to make this trip an unforgettable one is appreciated!!! It has been a brutal winter here in KC, and our trip can't get here soon enough!

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

Have you checked out our top questions? That will give you a lot of advice that has already been given, but for a special dinner I would consider Beach House or Plantation Garden in Poipu. Make a reservation now.

Spend a day or two on the North Shore visiting the beautiful beaches, the Lighthouse, the taro fields and maybe take a kayak up the Hanalei River. Another day head west to the canyon.

Do you like history, hiking, adventurous stuff? Do you like off the beaten track locations and going to farmer's markets? Capt Andy's Southern Star is supposed to be a nice boat and you can combine the tour with snorkeling. Do you want to do a helicopter trip? If so plan it at the beginning of your stay. There are photo tours, movie tours and hiking tours. Anything like that sound interesting to you?

You have chosen a nice condo complex so don't forget to just relax and enjoy sunsets and beach walks.

Shawnee, Ks
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

Thank you Jebett! Great suggestions! Yes we love historical tours too. Is there a plantation that would be neat to go through? Are there any good places to go in the evenings for well made cocktails?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

If you have never been to Hawaii before, perhaps a luau?

I would also recommend a boat trip down the Napali coast - gorgeous!

Lots of great food around the island . . . really depends on what you like to eat. Don't forget to sample shave ice island wide - and then report back and let us know your favorite.

I would also caution you to not book too many things - to me, the best itinerary for Hawaii is no itinerary - other than one or two activities you have to pre-book, let the island chill take over and enjoy! The week will fly by. Congrats on those 35 years - you will LOVE Kauai. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

I love Kilohana Plantation. Have lunch out in the back courtyard, walk around the house that has cute shops, visit the koloa rum factory and walk around the grounds. Its just gorgeous.

California
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

We've been on the Allerton Garden tour many times but especially enjoyed the Sunset Tour. ntbg.org/gardens/allerton-sunset-tour.php Also, Hanapepe Art Night is always fun. We like going to the Hanapepe Café for dinner first. BTW, I know this restaurant was closed for over a year but heard recently that it has reopened. Anyone been recently?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

Grove Farm Homestead tour. It's a wonderful docent lead tour of the home and grounds.

http://www.grovefarm.net/

Wai‘oli Mission House - ring the bell and the docent who lives on the grounds, will come give you a tour. We loved it.

www.hawaiimuseums.org/mc/iskauai_waioli.htm

3Chihuahuas

Shawnee, Ks
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! Coalminer you are so right about taking time to chill. I have a tendency to over book our itinerary. We have been to Maui and Oahu. We looked at going to Antigua, Cayman and some other islands but I kept coming back to Kauai. I am an avid gardener and have always wanted to visit the Garden Island! So excited!

on the road to...
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

The Mahiko Lounge at Kilohana Plantation may well be the best Mai Tai on the island (get the version made with Koloa rum.) It's a nice setting all around - sounds like you'd enjoy it!

Shawnee, Ks
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

Where is the farmers market located?

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 35 year anniversary trip

We stayed at PK last year. What a wonderful place.

Was a short walk to the farmers market here - kukuiula.com/community/the-shops-at-kukuiula/

Also some nice restaurants that could work for your dinner.

Enjoy!