We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

California
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

The east side, south side and west side of the island are under flash flood warnings.

www.google.org/publicalerts/alert…

Even though the North Shore is not under warnings, remember that water in the mountains has to go somewhere, so listen to the radio to see if the rivers are rising and are due to close. Also be aware of brown water warnings.

PS the rest of the week looks promising for those of you coming over soon.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 16:47
California
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Update...

They have close Hanalei School so probably not a good day for those people staying at Hanalei Colony Resort to venture out until they get the all clear.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The Civil Defense warning alert went off on my phone about an hour or so ago....Flash Flood Warnings for the whole island.

The Hanalei Bridge is "iffy" today since the gauge isn't working and they are having to monitor the water level carefully....it could close at anytime, so I'd be extra cautious about either leaving that area or trying to go there.

It has been raining with thunder and lightning here on the South Shore since 5am.....I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee! Exercise class is cancelled for me....so I'm staying put.....a good idea unless you "have" to be someplace today...stay off the roads if you can.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

We've had thunderstorms since about 5am on and off. Not very heavy rain in Pville but they said very heavy in Anahola. Take care folks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Yep, thunder and lightning, with light to moderate rain here in Lihue. Drove to the gym this morning at 5:30, instead of walking. The rain was enough to soak the poor dirty , muddy car, from a weeks worth of rain, so when I got back home I took the cleaning rags out of the trunk and washed away last weeks accumulation of mud spray.

Erica usually walks over to the gym as well, but goes later. At 8:00 am, I drove her over the short distance so that she would not get all drenched . She likes to get a little pre-workout before her TRX class.

I told her to call home and I would pick her up, but she said that she was not worried about getting wet after her exercise programs, and she would walk home.

Actually, right now in Lihue, the rain has stopped, but it looks to me that Kauai is still going to be blessed with rain and thunderstorms for a good part of the day. Also, saw on the crawler on the TV, that the Hanalei Bridge had closed, but that was the only report on the closing, that I have seen, so far.

Good plan to stay smart and be aware of the rain and any road closures and of course resked, boat, helo and kayak adventures. Same for hiking. Stay safe, and possibly this system will clear out by tomorow, but that is my guess, Hope so, for the visitors.

However, we have had a couple of days of sunshine, and we just flat get out and get moving. BBQ'd over at Poipu, and yesterday went for a hike in the sunshine. It was great to feel the sun on the shouders and be out enjoying kauai.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 18:42
California
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

I don't think the bridge has been closed as of a few minutes ago, but things can change quickly.

This is the latest I got:

Kuhio Hwy. still open at Hanalei Bridge Kaua`i is under a Flash Flood Advisory

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

With of our rain of late, it was a nice feeling to see the weather guessers predict sunshine for the next week.

Well, up early this morning, looking out the window I see lightning, and hear thunder...hmmmmmmm...on goes the TV, and the doplar shows a huge disturbance of greens and yellows and reds, and Kauai is going to get blessed with thunderstorms.

It was off to the gym at about 5:30 am.....and while getting my work out the car was rained on, so when I got home, it was looking so bad from a weeks worth of ran and mud spray, after parking in the garage I cleaned the critter up.

At 8:00 AM, generally Erica walks to the gym, but this morning I drove her over. She works out, before her TRX class. Seems she did not want to get soaked before the exercise, but declined my offer to pick her up.

She had no problem walking back home in the rain, and actualy it is quite spotty here in Lihue.

Looks to me , from the weather radar, that we are going to have a day of off and on rain. We do have some erands to take care of that are close by, but will not be doing any long distance driving, and will not be heading up north.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 19:09
California
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Denny,

See your post 4?

Guess you got up too early this morning and forgot you already told us your plans for the morning. lol

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Aloha from Kaua'i!

That would be me if I hadn't had 3 cups of coffee since 5am! LOL

I think this is only about the 4th time in 10 years my exercise class has been cancelled - we usually will swim in the rain - but adding in the thunder and lightning - not a great idea today! LOL

And yes it is still raining hard here on the South Shore - with thunder as well.

Netflix and Paris vacation planning on my schedule today (we finalized all our airline and apartment arrangements and I even sent in my entry for the "La Parisienne" women's race - 30,000 women running a 4 1/2 mile course around the Eiffel Tower and area!). - a good day to dream of Paris via books and films!

I am glad not to have to drive in this - hubby called from Lihu'e where he was going to run before work - had to give it up because it was storming so heavily over there.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Fron Ron Wiley - KONG Radio

The National Weather Service has extended the flash flood warning for the island of Kaua‘i until 12:15 this afternoon... Because water levels are rising in the Hanapēpē River, barriers are being erected on the one-lane bridge on Hanapēpē Road in order to protect Hanapēpē Town from flooding. Motorists are advised to use an alternate route to Hanapēpē Town. The county has closed green waste disposal operations at all transfer stations except the Līhu‘e Transfer Station. Green waste is also being accepted at the Kekaha Landfill.

Due to weather conditions, the Department of Education has closed Hanalei Elementary School for the day. (also close Kanui Kapono in Anahola)

More information will be provided as conditions develop. For immediate updates, monitor the National Weather Service website at http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/, call (808) 245-6001, or tune to your local media. For road closure information, call (808) 241-1725.

California
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flash Flood warnings Friday Feb 21

Its one of those strange fronts where the southeast gets hit the hardest. I just talked to my aunt in Kapahi and she said it is flooding up that way.