We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Has anyone bought airfare for this July from Southern California? Wondering if I should just buy now even though it's more than we usually pay? It's around $725 from San Diego nonstop to Lihue. Thanks for the input!

California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

I just did for my daughter and that was the price. That's also what it was last year at that time. Maybe closer to $710. July is high season and doubtful the fares will go down.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Last year watched the summer fares climb from 600 to 1100. The high numbers were right at the beginning of June and stayed that way till booking Windows after labor day. I was watching all bay area airports. If I were going this summer I would have bought as soon as the tickets were released. I would buy now if I were you. I think that number will climb.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Yep, we are about the same, in May we are flying AA direct LAX round trip with taxes and fees was & 707.00 each for Erica and I.

I booked it myself thru American, and tried to use my airmiles, but no luck. Booked early in late jan, they said there were no AAdvantage air miles for my dates, which evolved around Erica since she was only in Orange County for a couple of days of the weeks vacation.

I looked at the AA flight seating chart and the aircraft looked pretty much empty. I was told by the phone agent something like that the type of airmiles program that I had restricted me as to being able to use my AAdvantage air miles. Did not argue, just will keep piling them up, and work it all out at another time......I hope.

It has been said before, but many of us back in the day looked forward to going out to the airport and go on a flying vacation. It was a pleasant and fun experience. The times, well the times have certainly changed.

The maint thing is that this is a freindship and special trip for us. Erica and her sis and BIL, are going to drive up to Reno to see Erica's daughter and her family and the new addition of the third grand child. I will remain down in the beach cities, sailing and partying and seeing special friends.

I believe that "Friendship is precious cargo" , and it is important to see them every year. The happy and good times will be on,

California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Denny, The airlines only allot a certain number of seats to air miles. If they know that will be a busy flight they will limit the seats to miles. If you ever want to get your exact dates you need to do be on the phone the exact date that those seats open up. Different airlines have different dates.

You can always use your miles to upgrade. You have to buy a certain coded ticket to be able to use miles for upgrading. Since you are flying such a long distance to Ireland, that might be the way to go.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

We fly coach to the Hawaiian Islands, and around the US, then use our miles to upgrade to Business/First to Europe on American Air. Think it's 80,000 miles pp. Never had problems using them, but do it in advance.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,077 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

I just booked a 2 island trip for August out of LAX for $750 pp, LA-HNL-LIH-LA via American Airlines (the inter-island is Hawaiian Air). Direct flights to HNL are $575 round trip, which isn't bad either. Hawaiian Airlines had fares that were quite similar. I wanted to go to Hawaii last summer, but fares to one island from LAX were around $1000 (I was looking around the same timeframe last year). It's exhausting trying to budget the airfare. One thing I did for this year's trip is to book flights on Tuesdays and completely avoid weekend flying. While I may have jumped the gun a bit, I don't have time to play the "how low can you go" game this year. Good luck with your decision.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Thanks for everyone's help. I have been looking since they were released since we already booked our condo but the rates haven't changed much either way. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy now or apply for the Alaska air credit card and try and get a companion fare if we go out of San Diego. It's actually more expensive to fly out of LAX than San Diego and we are going on a Wednesday and coming back 2 weeks later on a Wednesday. And I would much rather fly nonstop to Lihue instead of stopping in Honolulu or San Francisco. Thanks for everyone's help!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,654 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

>>>It's actually more expensive to fly out of LAX than San Diego<<<

Isn't that ridiculous! LAX fares have been horrible....I'm still waiting, we need late August. I wouldn't mind leaving from San Diego...but coming home...that's an extra 2 hours on the road or additional hotel room expense.

Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

Book as soon as possible. You can always call Alaska if the prices drop and they will give you a credit towards your next flight. My recent flights went down $100 each so now we have $200 in credit for our next Hawaii trip.

10. Re: San Diego to Lihue this July ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:18