We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping

We will be in Kauai for two weeks this June. My parents are thinking of taking 2-3 days to go to Maui. I just checked the Hawaiian airlines website and priced out a trip (flight, hotel, car) there. Is there some other way you have done it in the past that would be cheaper? The price for a modest hotel on the Hawaiian website was $950 for 2 nights and $1150 for 3. Thanks for your help.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping

Personally, I wouldn't go for just 3 days, but that is me. Is the price you listed for everything? I would just use Hawaiian to book my flight - the earlier you book that, the cheaper. That should be just over $300 for the both of them

I am sure you could probably do better on a hotel - perhaps try priceline or hotwire. Sometimes you can rent a condo for 3 day - and there are a few B&B's in Maui.

I would use this company to book my rental car: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ Good luck! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping

Maui can be expensive, and that is just the way it is. Now , with two poeple, we have found a nice condo, studio, but with a stove and fridge and large room with bed, dresser, small dining table, TV, couch, and good bathroom and shower, kitchen sink, etc. Maybe it is larger than a studio, Also has a lanai and is on NAPILI BAY BEACH.

Price is reaonable and Napili bay is up in WEST MAUI....a few minutes north of Kaanapali.which is perfect for our style. Sunsets the folks take their sand chairs out on to the beach and gather about to enjoy the ocean views as the day slips into the sea.

Might check out ( My napilibay.com) " Donna is the owner " We have stayed there a couple of times, wonderful owner, and they have just done a lot of new remodeling of their unit. Photos on their website.

Air fares are going to be what they are. Coming from Kauai, we like to fly direct to Maui from LIH on Island Air. Brand new turbo props are now in their fleet. Hawaiian Air , may also have a direct flight, or at least they used to.

You might check during your investigations if they have larger units there.....we are only two, and loved the dickens out of it. i cannot remember for certain but I think it was in the neighbor hood of $ 130.00 or so per night...now it has been a couple of years, so do check on the price.

Again, this is what we refer to old maui style.....not anything like the monolith resorts in Kaanapali, but that appeals to Erica and I for our week long stay-cations from Kauai. The beach is great, and one of our super favorite restaurants the Sea House is located on the point . We can drive a few minutes for excellent snorkeling either north our south, and saw some folks snorkeling the reef and rock area over by the Sea House a well.

With two weeks , it is possible to do two islands, just factor in pretty much a day for travel, checking out of current place, turning in rental car, early at the airport, TSA, flight, new rental car, driving to the new accomodations, checking in, and then...yahoooooooo....sunset drinks and dinner at the Sea House.

And off to explore Maui Island the next few days.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 21:49
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping

Do they have their dates? I just did a bit of pricing . . . and if they are trying to keep it more of a budget trip, it could be done . . .but looking at some random dates, Hawaiian airlines is more like over $400 for 2 RT. I just checked hotwire for a base car rental rate, and that was about $130 for 3 days (though I am sure you can go cheaper with Discount Hawaii car rental). There is a nice B&B I stayed at one Maui and it is about $120 a night - so perhaps you could do it cheaper than Hawaiian's pkg, but it would be close.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping

Are those prices you are seeing per person?

Indy
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping

just checked HawaiinAir June and July are about $100-$120 each way per person ....

Island air is cheaper .... $163 round trip per person.

check Kihei or Honokowai on vrbo..punch in dates and see what's out there....

Honokowai example ... punched in june 10-13, 2014

this is nice complex; unit has good reviews; min 3 night stay and $120 clean fee...

$130 night

http://www.vrbo.com/276826

car rental mid-size for those dates $176 through discounthawaiicarrental

so 2 people $326 total airfare

$550 lodging [$130 night + tax + $120 clean fee...could ask for better deal or find another]

$176 car

about $1k for 3 nights Maui.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island hopping

I wouldn't fly Island Air. Hawaiian is tops for reliability.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island hopping

Aloha,

The only way to know is to check the individual components separately. Also, try checking just 2 of the components bundled.

Good luck.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island hopping

Always count your nights, not your days or weeks.

I would not go to Maui for less that 5 nights. And there is NO way I would book a hotel and car through Hawaiian Airlines. I love Hawaiian Airlines and fly them faithfully. I even have their credit card. But Hawaiian Airlines doesn't arrange for other services, they just contract with another entity to do it. If your parents want a week on Maui - that sounds great! They should reserve a car right away, establish a nightly budget ... and then look for accommodations. We can help.

That being said, unless your parents want a condo, the pricing through Hawaiian doesn't sound out of line. Watch the details, though. Make sure that they know exactly what they are buying.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island hopping

Thank you all for the input. The prices I quoted were total for the two of them. We stayed on Kauai for two weeks in 2012 and are lucky enough to come back this summer. I guess they just want to see another island, or get away just the two of them for a couple days (there are 10 people - three families traveling together). They would basically be taking 3 days away from Kauai as we have a two week rental- their choice not mine. Thanks for the suggestions for places to stay - I'll pass them along.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island hopping

I know this place is NOT for everyone but we love it. I stayed here in 1979 and then my husband and I stayed here again in the late 80s and again in the early 90s. It's in the heart of Lahaina and very well priced. We like to get a room facing Front Street, pick up a bottle of wine or 6 pack and sit on the lanai and people watch. Not sure if this is your parents kind of place but we are planning on taking the kids here on our next family trip (with at least 2 weeks on Kauai as well).

http://www.pioneerinn-maui.com/

Looks like the prices have gone up a bit! I only paid $15/night in 1979 for a single with bathroom down the hall. The joys of being a college student! ;)

Edited: 25 February 2014, 00:19