We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

We are going to Kauai August 26th for 1 week... I am soo excited! 30 days from today! What is the best and prettiest Luau. We want to make sure that we get to experience the pig ceremony. We also want to have a entertaining luau. I have seen on this forum recommendations to several luaus. Also, would like to know of the best inexpesive restaurants to eat at. We are staying at the Bali Hai Villas in Princeville.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

There are probably others that have a more informed opiion. We have been to Smith's Luau, and did not consider it that great. We would probably try the one at hte Princeville Resort. As far as restaurants go up north, we like the Hanalei Gourmet and Hanalei Plate Lunch across the street. Also Bubba Burgers has a decent hamburger. You can get really great fresh fish at the Hanalei Dolphin, if you want to cook it yourself. Their restuarant is also good, but pricey. There really are not a lot of "cheap eats" in Princeville itself.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

We were there in June and we always enjoy Smith's Luau. I happen to pickup a flyer for Princeville's Luau and it was $99.00 per person and their menu didn't look to appetizing. You can't go wrong with Smith's. Have a great time in paradise!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

I agree. I’ve lost count how many times we’ve attended Smith’s Luau over the years (Everytime a newcomer visits us while we’re on island, we go!) It’s always entertaining, very well organized, educational, r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g, and fun.

They do let you gather around the Imu while they’re removing the pig from the ground. You can also stroll around the impressive grounds and see trees and plants labeled, if you’re curious about some of the flora on Kauai.

The food is always good. (Complaints about watery mai-tais, from the ice melting so quickly in the heat, are from people who don't think to take the glasses from the back of the table, which were poured last!)

Another thing I like about Smith’s is that is isn’t just one culture that is celebrated, but ALL the cultures that make up the population of Kauai. If you are looking for a polished visitor activity, typical of what you might imagine geared toward first time visitors to Hawaii, Smith’s does it very well.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

We JUST got back "tonight" which is actually dinner time Kauai time. So I'm awake now at 1:30 a.m.

Anyhoo....We ate almost 100% of our meals up north. Just one time went to Kapa'a for Scotty's Barbecue (on the beach dining, good for a change if you feel like driving) and then at the Beach House in Poipu for hors d'ouvres on our way to the airport. :(

Our favorites on a budget:

Kilauea Bakery serves SUCH a good pizza. And load up on macaroons and oatmeal cookies for the beach the next day.

Tropical Taco tops our list in Hanalei.

Polynesia Cafe is also very good, not really cheap, but no tipping. We had the best ono "fish and chips" we've ever tried, and the Mexican isn't bad. Wish we had tried Hanalei Mixed Plate but it never seemed to be open when we were in the mood.

JAVA KAI was our absolute favorite place to hang out for coffee in the morning. They have a very satisfying "surfer sandwich" breakfast sandwich that comes with the sweetest little cup of island fruit. In the end the only t-shirt we bought to commemorate our trip came from Java Kai. We just liked the vibe.

One night we had appetizers at the Princeville Living Room out on the desk for sunset. It was enough food for us. AMAZING Lava Flow (pina colada with pureed strawberries).

Bar Acuda down in the Hanalei Center, down from Java Kai, was our only dinner splurge and it was worth it. I guess Pierce Brosnan hangs out there for tapas from time to time. Not that that means anything other than it's good...and pricey. But I think it was worth it. The chef changes the menu frequently and presents his dishes artfully.

Oh, and we met some people at Ke'e who loved their accommodations at Bali Hai Villas.

YAY! You're going to Kauai! ENJOY!

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

Thanks soo much for all the info.. The more info the better! I am sooooooo excited... We leave in 25 days!

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

Not sure if this is too late for you, but we went to Kauai's Best Luau at the Aloha Beach Hotel and enjoyed it immensly. The do not cook the pig in the ground, they cook it on top of the ground, covered with some kind of tarp. But they do have the "ceremony" where they uncover it, but it's not really a ceremony, it's more just him explaining how they cook it and a little history with some bad jokes thrown in. The food and dancing were wonderful, I have a review with some pictures on here somewhere...

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

Thank you to everyone to replied to this post... I check this forum everyday to try and learn as much as possible... I have 12 days left until we are on the long plane trip to Paradise! I can't wait!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

I loved Smiths Luau! The grounds are gorgeous, and they do the ceremony of getting the pig out of the ground. Plus the show was very good, celebrating all the cultures that make up Hawaii. I've never been to any others, but it's hard to imagine anything better!

I also took their cruise to the Fern Grotto, which I highly recommend.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

I can't speak for the luau at the Princeville, but don't go to Smith's. I have never been so disappointed. Find another option it has to be better!!!!

10. Re: Smiths Luau or Princeville Luau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 09:18