We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

Hello, Forumites!

As a sometimes contributor of advice to this forum, I'd like to change roles and ask for a recommendation.

My wife and I have been to Kauai many times but have never visited any other Hawaiian island. We are heading to Kauai in August and have decided to visit another island for 3 or 4 days on our way to Paradise.

We are all about beaches and gardens. We like a good hike as long as it's not too steep, and as former restaurateurs we do dig good food in comfortable spaces. We aren't big on what might be called conventional tourism; for instance, we have no interest in Pearl Harbor. However, we love Hawaiian culture and history.

So . . . . Which other island do you recommend for a visit? Should we do the volcanoes and lava flows on the BI? Snorkel on Maui? Experience Waikiki? None of the above?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

If you had MORE time , I would suggest the Big Island . . . I think you would enjoy the ruralness, VNP, the botanical garden, etc. But it is tough to see with only 3-4 days. Maybe Maui? You would enjoy the road to Hana and the upcountry. Or you know, I have a hankering to go to Molokai, but haven't been yet - you could probably see quite a bit there in 3-4 days. :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

O‘ahu for sure. Hawaiian culture & history...it's everywhere. The Bishop Musuem, ‘Iolani Palace, Chinatown, Byodo-In Temple, Queen Emma's Summer Palace, even Doris Duke's Shangri La home. And there's all kinds of gardens to tour.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 19:01
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

with three or four days......that will be a pretty very fast visit.....

I think we would elect West Maui at Napili Bay.....you are very near good snorkeling ( driving ) just a bit north of you (HONOLUA BAY) , and also just a bit south of you ( KAKEKILI BEACH PARK) at Kaanapali beach. Both excellent.

There is hiking, and we hiked locally in reference to our accomodations, as well as driving on the fast moving free ways to the other side of the island( WAIHE'E RIDGE TRAIL ).....not sure about time or your interests but we sailed on PARAGON CHARTERS fast sailing cat over to Lanai for snorkeling and lunch, or without spending so much time, a shorter sunset sail on a large monohull SCOTCH MIST about 6 people....both are out of Lahaina Harbor. After sailing, we find a place at the PIONEER INN BAR in the harbor....talk story and have fun. Oh , and be entertained by the resident bar parrot.

Oh, in appreciation of good food, we had our fist and last night special dinners right there at Napili Bay..wonderful sunsets, excellent food and service, and easy going , yet excellent and friendly service at THE SEA HOUSE.

With your short sked, you might also peruse MAUI REVEALED to get some idea that would suit your preferences and short time sked.

We love our maui stay cations.....always a great time and fine plenty of hikes, snorkeling, sailing and partying. Once again keeping life simple.

We also

Edited: 28 February 2014, 19:31
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

Be aware that at the volcano on BI, the lava is not always flowing. You need to check the website before you go. Oahu, Maui, and BI, are all really fun scenic islands with good snorkeling and beaches and Hawaiian culture. Each is unique. So I would plan to visit each over a period of three years.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

We decided to bail on our plans for Europe or the east coast and head back to Kauai this summer. But we too are going to visit another island. The kids really want to see Waikiki and Pearl Harbor (my youngest was too little to go on the sub last time). I know where we will stay on Kauai but still uncertain about Waikiki. We're thinking 5 days on Oahu to really see the island and explore. We did make a special effort to go to the Big Island a few years back and were disappointed that we could not see any lava flow at that time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

This August we are spending a week on Kauai and five days on Maui but you if have never been to Oahu it's great for a 3-4 visit. Not much really in the way of snorkeling but loads of history. So I second your idea to visit another island.

To me BI requires at least one week on it's own.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 19:59
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

I agree with 3chi ... but keep in mind that you could spend a month on Oahu and not scratch the surface of things to see and do. Too often, visitors think that Oahu is Honolulu ... when really, the Island is mostly rural ... and gorgeous.

For food - Oahu is the best, really (although I think Maui is a very close second!). The Bishop Museum would be a must for you, as well as Iolani Palace. Take a guided tour (reserved). Also check out Waimea Valley on the North Shore, Kualoa Ranch on the Windward side ... and of course - the Polynesian Cultural Center. And Oahu has wonderful botanical gardens.

Again - you'll only have time for very little with such a short stay ... but you can dip your toe in the water, so to speak.

If you want to talk details, post on the Oahu Forum.

FYI - please don't refer to Pearl Harbor as "conventional tourism." (Ouch!) It is an historic site, a memorial and an amazing experience ... and a National Park. And there is so much to see!

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

My vote would be Oahu. The history, the restaurants, the shopping, the beaches. Its perfect for 4 days. Maui I would want to spend a week and BI at least that if not more. Oahu is easy to get in and out of. As a foodie, you will be in heaven.

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

I'm reading great stuff so far. No surprise!

Keep it coming, Forumites!

Thanks!

Cid

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Island for 3 - 4 Days

okay - now if you just wanted to see a small chunk of the Big island, you could fly in/out of Hilo. I loved VNP, but really had no interest in seeing lava - there are some great trails/hikes that I found fascinating - hikes to tree molds, steam vents and ferns over your head - way cool place and not all arid in every area. I also really enjoyed this botanical garden:

http://www.htbg.com/

Hilo also has a small zoo - I am not a big zoo person, but their local orchid society plants orchids there, so that is very nice to see as well.

I really liked Hilo - some of the friendliest people I have met on the islands. :)