We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
226 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

We will be going to Kauai probably somewhere in the middle or end of September.

We are going to split about 15 days between Big Island and Kauai. I heard it is advisable to have more time on Big Island so we will probably do Kauai ffor 6 or 7 days.

I read that September and October are excellent months to travel to Hawaii but now I read a lot about rain coming to the north shore of Kauai in october?

We will come from San Francisco: would it be advisable to do Kauai first and then go to Big Island (we will be there beginning of October then) rather than the other way around?

And is it doable to rent just 1 accommodation on Kauai and explore from there? Or is it better to stay in more places?

any tips on great accommodation would be appreciated as well :)

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

I would stay in one accommodation. Kauai isn't very big and you would waste a lot of time packing and moving. Remember that you need to be out of most places by 10am and can't check in again until 4pm. You can get from one end of Kauai to the other in about an 1 1/2 hours.

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

September is a great time to visit Kauai. Do you want a condo, a hotel, or maybe a little cottage on the beach? I'd look at either the North or South Shores. Check out some of these place on the South Shore: the Sheraton, Koa Kea, Grand Hyatt, Kiahuna Plantation, and Poipu Kapili. On the North Shore take a look at www.beachkauai.com and www.hcr.com If you don't mind packing and unpacking, splitting your stay might be a good option, but as mentioned, Kauai is a small island.

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

I would only split a stay if you were staying in a hotel. The North Shore doesn't have many hotels except the very expensive St Regis.

Sept is a wonderful time on the island. The BI is probably sizzling then with vog possibly (the trades die down that time of the year) so I don't think it matters which island to go to first. Check prices from SFO on Hawaiian and Alaska and see what comes up.

Don't worry about rain. That time of the year you will find its just showers and boy does it feel good when it happens.

I would look for a house/cottage in Hanalei.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Kaua`i is small, but more like 3 hours from end of the road to end of the road. (It doesn't go all the way around.) Still doable from a single location; you just plan day trips. September/October is a shoulder season, and you should have a good choice of lodgings.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
226 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Thank you all for your answers!

We just booked our tickets from Amsterdam to San Francisco!! We will arrive there on September 19th. Then we want to stay 2 days in the city and head to either Kauai or Big Island on the 22nd of September.

But I hear you say that it doesn't really matter what island we do first then?

@Jebett: what do you mean with this part: "The BI is probably sizzling then with vog possibly (the trades die down that time of the year)" :-) I have no idea what you're talking about.

We don't really like big resort hotels and would rather stay in cute cottages or smaller hotels.

I already found out that flying into Hawaii from Oakland is cheaper than from SFO.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

The islands are usually kept comfortably cool by the trade winds, which blow mostly from the east/northeast. At some times of year - September is one of them - the trades become intermittent, and we get warm winds from the southwest, which brings heat and humidity. The Big Island, being the most southerly of the islands, will tend to be warmer.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
226 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Ah okay! thanks for the explanation

But in general it doesn't really matter if we do Kauai first and go to Big Island on the 29th of September?

If we would do Big Island first we would arrive on October 2nd in Kauai and leave there on October 8th

Still great weather then on the north shore?

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Yes the weather is still good, but the ocean might be getting rougher and snorkeling could be an issue on the North Shore.

Vog is a combination of volcano ash and fog. It often happens when a volcano is active and the trades die down which happens in Sept. often. It can be very hot in Sept and The BI is often the warmest of all.

Yes flying out of Oakland or San Jose is cheaper than SFO but remember Alaska Airlines only leaves certain days to Kauai.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
226 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Hmm based on that information it would probably be most sensible to do Kauai first then and head over to Big Island the beginning of October.

Does the vog affect the sky? (I mean: when you say fog and ashes the picture of a all day grey sky comes to mind instead of nice sunny blue ones :-) ).

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai september: 1 hotel or more?

Vog is volcanic smog. It affects the sky - and the lungs - just like smog does.