We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help preserve our reefs.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Please help preserve our reefs.

Take a few minutes to view this video about caring for the reef.

http://forthesea.com/clips/clips-psa.html

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

Bump.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

Thank you for keeping this up front as a major issue. Nothing makes me angrier than when I am sitting on Tunnels and see people walking out across the reef to deeper water. My wife has to pull me back in my chair as I try to explain to the people that they are killing thousands of living organisms with each step. Very sad to see the disrespect.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

I don't see it as disrespect when people don't actually know about it. Maybe some good ways (in the airplane on the way there for instance) to let people know and educate them. I would have had no idea but my first trip to Maui was with someone that had been there many times. Maybe ignorance is a better word but even that doesn't fit if the information is not in your face.

Kris

Edited: 06 March 2014, 15:15
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

The thing that bugs me is that when you say something to the politely they just about bite your head off.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

Last time I was at Tunnels Beach, I was snorkeling and a guy was standing on the coral and as I was approaching him, he apparently thought I was his buddy and he was flipping me off underwater. I lifted my head, took my mask off and gave him hell for both flipping me off and standing on the coral. Needless to say, I don't think he'll ever flip anyone off under water again and I don't think he'll touch coral again.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

I agree Pzp. It is frustrating and annoying when you are yelled at. Happens too much. However, last summer at Tunnels I asked someone to please stop walking on the coral and they blankly stared at me, 2 more people came up to me and said they wanted to do it right and asked where they could exit and enter. There is hope when there are those who want to learn and will spread the info to others.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

As long as no one say's anything, nothing will get any better. I don't keep my mouth shut, I educate!! They may not listen but at least I know I tried.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

PZP, exactly, I have tried to be as polite and respectful as possible and have nearly had my head torn off.

Daisy, I agree if someone has never ever been told not to walk on the reef, HOOOWEVER, if you rent a mask, fins, walk in any snorkel store, google, read anything about snorkeling(as you should with any activity you are new at), you will be warned not to walk on living reeks. There is no excuse for anyone not knowing to stay off the reef.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

Thank you, I also have a large problem with the people who make no effort to inform themselves as to the vacation destination that they have chosen. That is total indifference and just not careing which equals disrespect for our island. They have done zero reseach, and franky just do not care.

In a bit, I have some related news that is going be very important to our island, the visitors and residents on the south shore. And that includes the resorts, beaches, ocean, and reefs.

But first, as many here have done, I also have interceded , not only here, but on our neighbor islands when visitors are just doing whast they want, and have no clue, or just flat do not give a darn.

Many visitors and residents do care, and rally to the cause to protect our ( their ) island. Not only in their own inter actions, but advising others who need some education. You all are fantastic !!!

I have seen visitors on the Big Island, standing on those beautiful coral formations in their fins, and I reminded them that they should not stand on the coral since it kills it. At the same location I spotted a honu, and floated face down with my arms clasped behind my back. Up comes a tourist and I nicely told him to not disturb the honu, we can just watch him munching away for his underwater lunch.

Well, that advice did zero, this guy reaches down and starts rubbing the turtles shell with his fist. Sure enough here comes another group of tourist snorkelers emulating the knuckle rubber. The honu is trying to swim away, the whole group is trying to reach down and touch him, and in now in a long line fins slapping, water flying, and tearing after the honu.

Here on kaui, especially at Lawai Beach, I have walked over to greet the visitors who were about to enter the water to go snorkeling. Problem was they were going to walk over the rocks and reef, and of course there is a slight swell. They would have been knocked over and rolled and cut up. Not good.

I would show them the ava ( white sandy area ) and how to enter, and also once in the water, look back and find land marks that they can use as ranges to exit where they entered. All nice and easy and safe. Most times there are thank you's , and off they go to enjoy the marine life.

If Erica and I can take the time to learn about where we are vacationing, and what to expect, and what to do, and be aware of the enviornment, so can the visitors. And it is not only important for the preservation of kauai, but to keep the visitors themseves safe on land , in, on or above the ocean, and even in the air.

Now for something that is going to seriously effect the poipu area. At a recent meeting, knowledgeable and educated questions were asked about the effects of this 1,800 cow dairy that is going in near maha'ulepu and poipu beach. Question to the backers: What type of ground will this dairy farm be on, volcanic or will the bovine waste leech into the land and to the water table. Where will the run off be. THE INVESTORS AND REPS DID NOT KNOW. What is up with that ? They did not know the type of land. Or where the run off would be or the effects.

Also, they were asked about the smell from the waste of 1,800 cows, that come to 52, 500,000 pounds of cattle waste a year ! Well the said they planned on the wind blowing to the south......What !!! Our tradewinds are from the NORTH EAST, that means the winds are blowing to the SOUTH WEST which is Poipu.. maha'ulepu, the hyatt, poipu kai, poipu beach, and the whole poipu area , which includes the resorts and the residential areas.

And what will happen to the waters and reefs.....wtith the run off......??? No answer to that one either.

Well, that whole coastal area is going to be suseptable to the presence of those cows. How many visitors will continue to come to Poipu Beach, (and ( this is a serious question and situation ) if they can smell dairy cows on a constant basis. If you are any number above zero, you are one too many.

This morning , Erica came home after reading the comments from the meeting in the paper. She said, if this major aggricultural project is allowed to go thru, we will be changing the name of poipu beach, to

poo-puu beach. Not good for our island, or the visitors, or the residents, or the resorts or businesses.

So, yep in addition to protecting the north shore snorkel sites, and the south shore snorkel sites, we need to protect all of Poipu and Maha'ulepu. In the latter case we are fighting big , big money.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help preserve our reefs.

Count me in as someone who appreciates being told something! I stopped at a park once in Minnesota while on a road trip and my daughter and I were running up and down some big hills to let off steam. Someone came up and told me they were ancient burial sites and were not to be climbed on. I was mortified but there were no signs anywhere. Of course, we apologized and got the heck out of there. That was something I couldn't have researched but I'm glad someone was there to set me straight.

Kris