We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute condo/hotel

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
last minute condo/hotel

My husband and I just booked a last minute trip to Kauai from 3/19-3/26 and were thinking about splitting our time between Poipu (maybe 2 nights) and the North Shore (maybe 5 nights) with no preference between which is first before hopping over to Oahu.

Two condos that were recommended on a different post are still available, but I'm wondering if anyone would have concerns about a condo that is still open two weeks before arrival.

Other suggestions would also be more than welcome!

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/3201

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/4301

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute condo/hotel

You booked your airliner and arriving in a week or so.....well, you might be happy that there are rooms available, although there does not seem to be a lot of visitor traffic at this time. This is from our own personal observations......walking past kalapaki beach yesterday , the beach at the Marriot is nearly deserted so their occupancy is very low. So, you might give the lihue marriot a call as well.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute condo/hotel

Just looked at your selections and links......the HBR is a superb and wonderful property and we love it up there. However, I cannot tell you about those about individual units, but from the pictures, wow!

Jbett is highly familar with the Hanalei Bay Resort and knows that property extremely well, you might PM her and get the latest and greatest.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 14:08
United States
Level Contributor
353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute condo/hotel

unit 3201 is stunning and the pictures are accurate. I found the location of the unit to be great, it's upstairs and the building is a short walk from the parking lot. it's also near the pool but you won't hear any pool noise. The views are INCREDIBLE. everything we used in the unit worked well - all appliances, washer dryer, ac, etc. my only issue was being able to see the next door neighbor a few feet away on the lanai , there's lattice between the two of you but i wouldn't say you have total privacy on the lanai.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last minute condo/hotel

Both super choices but different. 3201 is the studio side with a wall bed and 4301 is more like a hotel room with king bed. 3201 has a kitchenette and is more expensive.

When you book 3201 you are renting through Parrish. They will charge you an additional $50 processing/resv fee. 4301 is owned and managed by a terrific lady, Janice. She cares about her guests and condo. I have had many friends and family stay in her units when mine is too small. Its got fabulous, closer views than 3201, but 3201 is one my favorites in the entire resort. I arrive the 25th. Come by and say hi.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,774 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute condo/hotel

<<They will charge you an additional $50 processing/resv fee.>>

Many of the rental agencies charge a "processing" or "cancellation" fee. Garden Island Rentals charges $50, Kauai Vacation Rentals charges $75, Bali Hai charges $100-$500 processing fee and Suite-Paradise charges $40, etc.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last minute condo/hotel

That's nice. I was just letting the OP know about the differences in renting from someone who doesn't use a rental company.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,774 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: last minute condo/hotel

Different owners on VRBO and similar sites also have different processing fees and cancellation policies. Just as an example (and not on Kauai), I tried to rent a house in Eugene for my family. The owner wanted 50% upfront and it was not refundable if I canceled for any reason and any time. Of course, I walked away immediately. So it' important to check the fine print, no matter who you rent from, private owner or rental agency.

8. Re: last minute condo/hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:26