We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Hi all! After 18 amazing days on Maui with family and friends we headed to Kauai for new adventures. When TA gets it's act together I will link my Maui TR for you to read or not!

As always, we left our condo on Kaanapali at 10 am and opened our lanai doors at the Marriott on Kauai at 3 pm. Island hopping is NOT quick or easy for visitors and we had the new direct flight! Just sayin.'.

This stop was going to be a huge adventure for all involved. Hubbie and I spent the first part of our delayed honeymoon at the Coco Palms 40 years ago and have amazing memories of the trip. We've returned many times after that staying both north and south island. This was our first venture staying east...in Kapaa. We LOVED it! Ok a couple of caveats...

As always, I left the guy to get the luggage while I picked up the rental car...only one on the shuttle and first one to say NO to all the upgrades offered. Pulled out to pick him up in a new Ford escape.

As usual we had to book a night before our time-share, booking 13 months out with holes in your plans can leave you with nights to fill. We had really liked the Marriott when on our cruise in Dec. (Another link I will try and post when TA get's it's act together) so decided to splurge for a night for just us, great money spent with a AAA rate and an upgrade for our 40th!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Aloha Mamma!

I was hopin' to find your Kauai TR!! Can't wait to read more about your Kauai adventures!!

Cindy

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Here's our Maui TR... tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k726454…

I have to say that, while gorgeous, the Marriott lay out was a bit odd. It felt like quite a hike from valet to the lobby and we were just glad we had opted not to haul our own luggage. Our oceanfront room was huge and views of the habor were priceless.

We had been following the weather from Maui and were aware of all the rain and flood warnings so we were very pleased to land in full sunshine. Of course when we got checked in and stepped onto the lanai we were greeted by a full on deluge which lasted maybe 20 minutes...welcome to Kauai!

Wandered down to Duke's for an early dinner. Wow, it was just great...delicious food and friendly service with that view are hard to beat.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 13:08
3. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 21:36
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
520 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Momma - so happy to see you now on the Kauai forum after reading your Maui reports!

Where in Kapaa are you staying/did you stay? I'm curious as we did a TS exchange into East Kapaa (Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy) for this upcoming winter break. Our first time on Kauai we stayed at the Cliffs on the North Shore and loved it but I'm also looking forward to the central location and small beach town vibe of Kapaa this time.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Welcome back mamma. I hate you for having a month, but glad you got to back. Maybe your next time on Kauai will be staying at your beloved Coco Palms again. Wouldn't that be special?!!!!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Special beyond words, jebett! Hey don't hate me because I am beau...oops retired!!

Really enjoyed our stay at the Marriott..treated myself to room service breakfast on the lanai and the whole shebang. Got in a bit of retail therapy in their shops before heading out to our condo.

We dropped our luggage in the hospitality room and headed out to explore Kapaa and make a Costco run. Thanks to all you great TA folks we ended up at Olympic Cafe for lunch, ended up here a couple more times. The service was fun, food was delish and portions approached humongous.

Checked out the "fair" at the North end of town and ended up with my new favorite, a funky, multi colored jacket. Nobody is going to miss me coming and my daughter hates it...I LOVE that my daughter hates it! HA I think, at times, that my city girl, fashion maven extrordinaire is afraid her Mother's style, or lack there of, may be contagious! Can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten from friends and complete strangers.

OK we went to Costco on a Sunday, not as bad as Sat. on Maui but 'nuff said. But we picked up our steaks and some monchong as well as booze for our stay. I made a solo run to Safeway to "fill out" condo supplies.

We have been Worldmark owners for nearly 20 years so knew what to expect from Kapaa Shores...large, wonderfully clean, basic condos with helpful staff.

Beach swimming access is not a big deal to us but ocean views are a requirement. The views from our 3rd floor 2 bed unit were simply gorgeous and the sunrises were amazing every day.

The huge drawback to this property is the lack of elevators...UGH. The day we checked in was a "Kona day", no wind and, while I know it was only mid 70's and locals were freezing, we were totally and completely spent and dripping after getting our luggage up there. Didn't help that the master was in the loft up ANOTHER set of stairs. Hubbie and I did a lot of "not talking". After 40 years ya just know when to avoid each other!

Dinner was a couple of Costco salads, darn those things are good.

On Monday Hubbie's brother and his wife joined us for the rest of our stay. Bought a gorgeous lei for her and a Jack Daniel's lei for him...I know my audience! They are Mexico people, going several times a year. Their only other Hawaiian vacation was with us about 10 years ago when we took them to BI and Maui and we had a blast together. I was really excited to share Kauai with them this time and especially from an area we hadn't really explored ourselves. For the rest of this TR I'll just call them D&B.

Coming up Blue HAwaiian and Southern Star.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Oooh! So fun to read a TR from Kauai from our Mamma! Can't wait to read more! And I'm like you, can't STAND to be really hot. Ick. Which Marriott were you staying in? Aren't there 2 or 3 of them on Kauai? (Forgive my ignorance of Kauai. I've only spent one glorious day there driving from Lihue past Hanalei during a stop on the Disney Wonder!)

So happy to hear you all have a fabulous view! I know how important that is. :-) It is to me too, for sure! Thanks for sharing one of your famous TR's with us all! Can't wait to hear about Blue Hawaiian & Southern Star!!!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 00:53
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Oh, I can't wait to read more!!! Make sure you share a photo of your new jacket! :)

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

Ok I don't hate you too much.....

I am just happy when you are happy....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A month of Sundays in Paradise...Kauai sunrises!

I'm enjoying your TR, momma, AND seeing all the familiar Maui names posting. I've been an almost TA recluse for the last few months.....

I'm looking forward to the rest of your installments! And yes, 40 years does bring its own level of understanding!

Aloha

Edited: 20 March 2014, 01:59