We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raining during Sunset Cruise?

Sammamish
Level Contributor
142 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Raining during Sunset Cruise?

I am ready to book a Sunset Cruise. Obviously, nobody has a crystal ball to know if it will rain or not the night we go out. Just wondering what a rainy cruise is like? If we are damp on the boat and combined with wind, will it be pretty chilly? In other words, do we need to bring warm clothes from home? I was only planning to bring a light jacket for the plane and evenings out but maybe I should throw in pants (vs. just shorts) too? We are coming from Seattle so 60's is shorts weather to us but out on a boat in the wind at the end of the day, I am wondering how cold it will feel? We will be visiting at the beginning of April..so just a few weeks away!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

The rain and wind in Hawaii is warm. The locals walk around in the rain all the time in shorts and T shirts. However, on the boat at any time it is handy to bring a light water proof wind breaker with a hood to protect against sea spray. Also, ask the company you book with what there policy is on rain, because if it is stormy enough they will cancel the trip.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

You'll be fine with a rainproof light jacket, as the previous poster said.

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

From what I have heard, no one on Kauai this week would agree that the wind is warm!!!

A jacket is key.

California
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

When I did a sunset cruise in July a couple of years ago, there was no rain, but I got drenched from head to toe--not once but twice by waves breaking onto the deck. I'd bring a lightweight jacket and a change of clothes. Better yet, I'd watch the sunset from the Beach House lawn.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

Jebett, I stand corrected. I should have said the the wind in Hawaii is USUALLY warm. I too have experienced a cold wind in Hawaii but those are rare events. Unless you are at the top of haleakela.

Sammamish
Level Contributor
142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

I was going to book with Captain Andy and I did ask about their cancellation/weather policy. The gal I spoke to said that a little rain is not an unusual thing and that they would attempt to sail towards an area that was not raining. If it was a heavy downpour, they would cancel. Normally, a little Hawaiian rain wouldn't bother me at all but I have been checking the weather forecast and saw some days over the last couple of weeks had high's predicted at 72 so by early evening that could be mid-60's.

22kauai - Your experience does not sound like a pleasant one.

Maybe we should play it by ear and book something once we are there and can get an idea of the temps and rain.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

Here is how we prepare for a Sunset cruise, or any cruise up the Napali Coast. Should a passing shower blow through, or you take a surprise wave on board, or get wet with spray...... ( sailing the caribbban, we stip down to board shorts or bikinis, and grab some soap and take a quick shower up on deck. and use the passing shower to not only get clean and rinse offf, but saves using the boats water.)

Sailing the napali.....We carry a jacket or other warm backups in a small duffel that we stow down below. Usually you will be just fine until the boat begins the return trip. then the jackets may come out, and other dry clothes and life is great.

A constant down pour....no way, we are not going, and the company should resked you, or give you a refund.

Today is march 19, and the weather is sunny with tradewinds, and we saw some whitecap outside. Close in to shore in poipu, there were some small waves, and no big deal. There was also some chop, but people were going out SCUBA diving and the boats were doing just fine.

We also bring along visors or caps, or hats ( the tully hat has a chin string to keep it on your head going to wind. Otherwise, spin your visor or cap around backwards to keep in on your noggin. Having dry clothes really does help out if you wind up getting overlly doused with spray or a seaway. It can certainly happen.

You two will be having a grand ol time, and I will guarantee you will see other pasengers huddled under towels and anything that they can find, sitting in the stern of the vessel and narry a smile. You all will be prepared and doing great.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 01:42
Sammamish
Level Contributor
142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

Thank you Kalapakidooley! Great info!

Colfax, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

We sailed with Captain Andy's on March 7th of this year. I hate to say this but I was freezing. I had on a light jacket and casual skirt and flip flops. It rained and rained. I should have known it was a bad idea when I saw that no other boat companies had left the harbor!! It was very choppy and people were throwing up....not a pleasant experience. I will admit that the crew were extremely pleasant and funny and tried to make the best of a horrible day, however, it would have been a much better idea to cancel the trip. The only nice thing about that sail was the food.....excellent!! If booking with Captain Andy's and the weather is questionable....ask to rebook or for a refund! If other tour boats aren't leaving the harbor....you shouldn't either!!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Raining during Sunset Cruise?

I would wait until you're there and can see weather forecasts. I doubt the boats will be full in April. We've been on 4 Napali cruises and our 2 successful ones were booked the night before. Of the other 2, the wind was blowing so hard for one that all we could see of the Napali was a very faint view shrouded by heavy mist. The other one was high seas and we didn't get past Polihale and we were rained on heavily on the way back in. We were glad to have pants on and hooded medium weight jackets (pretty much our flying clothes). The wind and rain made it quite chilly!