We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinks on the beaches.

Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
Drinks on the beaches.

We are three couples staying for a week in Kauai and, of course, plan to visit some of the different beaches. I always bring a cooler with lunch and snacks and would like to include some beer for the guys. How does the law/authorities react to the beer part? Do they overlook it or are the strict with ticketing?

Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

The only folks I've seen ticketed are some obviously drunk younger kids at Brennecke's. I've never had any problems : )

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,834 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

It is illegal. And yes, a lot of people drink on the beach. Use those cover thingamajigs for the tins and you will most likely be okay. I have never seen any one get a ticket anywhere on Hawaii yet...and we always have a "cool one" in our cooler too!

Please avoid taking glass to the beach.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Technically, I don't think you're supposed to have alcohol on the beach - HOWEVER, in all the years we've been going, NEVER have I seen a cop on the beach. Not even the lifeguards say anything. Be discreet...I have a beer can koozie and don't get falling down obnoxious drunk. And please have a designated driver.

Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Thank you!

Appreciate your responses.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Agreed while it is illegal to take alcohol onto the beaches, I have yet to see a cop on a Kauai beach. No glass, no obvious drunkeness, no drunk driving and you *should* be fine.

California
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Everyone who lives on the island would be in jail right now if they were all caught with beer on the beach. lol

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,570 posts
1,283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Chime3,

As mentioned, you are looking at doing things that are illegal. While I cannot support that, if you are discrete, and keep everything under control, you *might* skate.

OTOH, there ARE venues, where things might fit into the letters of the law?

Enjoy,

Hunt

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Actually, I tried to find an ordinance or any legality that actually stated "alcohol or open container" was illegal to have on the beach. I have not been able to find anything. I've always "heard" alcohol is illegal on the beach, but I would love to see it in writing.

As far as a County Beach Park....evidently consuming alcohol is OK except maybe between the hours of 11pm - 6am.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/council-propo…

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Hmm, you may be on to something there 3chi. There is no state statute for public consumption, though there is this "(b) No person shall consume any intoxicating liquor at any scenic lookout." I've also seen lots of things about it not being legal, but was unable to officially confirm it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,570 posts
1,283 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinks on the beaches.

Interesting.

Could this be the same state (with their counties/Islands), that would decree that I cannot have a glass of white wine, and a glass of red wine, in front of me, in a restaurant?

Odd, indeed.

Hunt