We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay question

portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay question

Just wondering if there are sections of Hanalei Bay that are known for being more calm or if it's always changing ( or if the whole bay is more or less uniform in its "roughness.")

Mahalo!

portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Meaning that if there are areas that are typically more calm -are they the same areas all of the time or do they vary?

California
Level Contributor
37,467 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Closet to the pier is usually calm.

Here is a youtube video taken over a full year at the same spot.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 25 March 2014, 12:04
portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Ok- thank you !

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay question

During the summer the entire bay is pretty calm. We stay near Wai'oli Beach Park, and I've never noticed that some areas are more calm or more rough when I walk to the pier.

portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay question

We are going to be there in a few days -

So I was wondering about the conditions other than in the summer. Thx

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Yes, for the most part, the further West you go along the bay, the more surf there "can" be. Near the pier and Pavilions is usually pretty calm. Wai‘oli Beach Park is better for boogieboarding and/or surfing. The same for Waipa a bit further West across the stream. At the far West end is Waikoko...I've only swam/floated in the area a few times, it can get windy so more chop.

Check with the lifeguards.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay question

I know from paddle boarding, the western end, even in the summer can be choppier. You probably won't want rot be down that far anyhow.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Go to Pavilion Park this time of year since its life guarded. In my experience in March they do a fantastic job of moving people either towards the pier of the other way depending on the currents. If its quite rough they will closr the beach. It's usually swimable.

California
Level Contributor
37,467 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Bay question

I'm here right now and was at the bay last night for a party. I can see the bay from my lanai. The waves that break out on the reef are about 4-5 footers today, but it was calm around the bay. The sand is WET!!! There is a huge divet in the sand as you drive into Blackpot and its muddy/sandy. Lots of people were out last night checking out the outragiously beautiful sunset. Cameras were clicking away. People were wading in the water and jumping off the pier. It was fabulous. Oh ya! They were also making bonfires.

Its been raining a lot at night and in the mornings. The afternoon was nice.

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Bay question

Jebett, your description is like a much needed breath of fresh (Kauai) air! Ahhhh. I almost feel like I'm there. (Wish, wish)