We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Na pali cruise

Reno,Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Na pali cruise

We are staying in Kapaa the 1st week in May, Can you tell me where we book a cruise from (north or south) to see the Na pali coast.Thank you

California
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Na pali cruise

I'd book a tour from Hanalei. Check out the HoloHolo tour from Hanalei or www.napalicatamaran.com

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Na pali cruise

The tours that depart from the southwest shore leave from Port Allen or Waimea. So you're closer to the Hanalei departures.

But you should first check out all of your options from both shores looking particularly at the types and sizes of boats. The north shore departures are smaller craft and some of them require you to be "ferried" out to them anchored offshore. The south shore departures out of Port Allen are the larger and more comfortable catamarans. So it all depends on what you're looking for in type of tour or any specific physical needs.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Na pali cruise

Yes, that is an excellent post.

The tour by Holo Holo that leaves from Hanalei Bay is a smaller powerboat.

I was not aware of the Napalicatamaran, that was mentioned above.... So, that is good information for me It does appear to be a smaller catamaran type boat.

I am thinking that in that surf off the Napali Coast, the bigger the boat the better!!!

If we are lucky enough to plan a trip to Kauai, I have almost decided to switch from staying on the North Shore (which we really plan to see/experience) and actually stay on the South Shore, and take Captain Andy's or Holo Holo catamaran tour to see the Napali Coast. I am just wondering how much effort it would be to drive up to see 1-3 of the gorgeous beaches on the North Coast, from the South.

PS: Napa Guy, just wanted to say hello, as I have currently been on the Napa Valley boards. Since this might be the next vacation trip we plan.. to see Napa Wine Country and the California Pacific Coast.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 20:26
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Na pali cruise

Napa's idea of looking up the different Napali cruises and their boats on the their websites,and then making a decisiion is a good plan.

Other things to take into consideration are taking a smaller vessel that can get into the sea caves, conditions permitting, where the larger sailing catamarns are restricted due to their main sail mast.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Na pali cruise

Wishing, and a welcome to you to the Kauai forum. Hope you enjoy your next trip to my area. I feel so blessed to live in this great area.

As far as the drive up to the north shore from the south shore. I suppose it's all up to the individual and their driving habits but I find it to be no big deal. In one week I typically find myself wandering that far north at least twice. There's enough other things to see and do along the way. Figure a 1.25 hour ride from Poipu with no stops. It goes by fast when you're watching the scenery pass by.

That said, I wouldn't change your plans to staying on the south shore just because you might want to take a boat trip out of Port Allen. (and I wouldn't recommend the opposite either). It's only a one day event and the drive from north to south is manageable. Base it on where you want to stay and what part of the island itself you think you'll like better.

6. Re: Na pali cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16