We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anini Beach Safety

fairfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Anini Beach Safety

We have rented a beach home next to Anini Beach and have seen some recent comments regarding a large homeless encampment in the park as well as some recent fights and breakins. Is this just normal for the times or should I be more concerned (rent elsewhere)? We are taking our 8 year old twins with us. I have no problem with homeless folks (could have been me), nor do I mind the periodic panhandler, but draw the line when they harass my family, get violent, try burglary.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
678 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anini Beach Safety

I do not see it as a problem. There are homeless campers (or appears that way), but that is in the main beach park area near the restrooms. If you rent a house you will be away from them. Just my opinion.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anini Beach Safety

Jeremy is right. The "Campers" for the most part are quiet and keep to themselves. The fights are usually at night and other campers will call the police if needed. There are break-ins all over the island so just use common sense.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anini Beach Safety

Thanks, this is good advice as the rental we have taken is literally the "other side of the fence" from the far-west end of the park. Fortunately we never take anything of real value on our trips....other than ourselves.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anini Beach Safety

If your rental on Anini Beach is towards the far end of the road (west), then you will be pretty far removed from the campground which is where most of the homeless folks camp.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anini Beach Safety

We are about 20 feet from the property line of the Anini Beach Park. I'm probably being overly cautious & concerned. Just looking out for my family, especially the little guys.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 21:07
fairfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anini Beach Safety

We are about 20 feet from the property line of the Anini Beach Park. I'm probably being overly cautious & concerned. Just looking out for my family, especially the little guys.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anini Beach Safety

Then you are not at the far West end of Anini, but I still think you'll be fine. I think there's more homeless down at the far west end anyway, but the homeless aren't a problem. It's the younger guys, partying hard that cause the problems. Stay out of the park if there's a group of rowdies. Lock the house up when you leave, the same goes for the car.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anini Beach Safety

Will do and thanks!

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anini Beach Safety

We stayed a week in a house on Anini Beach last April and didn't experience any problems. We were further east, before you come to the park but we walked to the park on several occasions. There was a man that did appear to be living there but he was very friendly. I would stay on Anini Beach again.

10. Re: Anini Beach Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 18:05