We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Due to the earthquake off the coast of Chile - the County of Kaua'i has issued an advisory that ALL beaches here on Kaua'i will be closed from 3am to 9am Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014.

Please be aware if you are an early morning beach goer!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Definitely best to be safe!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The Pacific Tsunami Center has officially canceled the Tsunami Advisory for all Hawaiian islands at 7:35am this morning, April 2nd.

However, the County of Kaua'i still has not opened the beaches "officially" here...stay safe and just stay out of the water until it is lifted.

From the news I am watching, many, many people were disregarding the closures. There is no way to drag people out of the water if they are going to disregard official closures....so they just decided to do it anyway, or they didn't hear, one of the two. Unfortunately, this always happens.

Anyway, any threat is over for all Hawaiian Islands according to Pacific Tsunami Center.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
822 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Hold onto your hats, another quake occurred in the Pacific, this time out off of Panama. Not nearly as big as the Chile quake, but still has tsunami potential. I'm sure it, likewise, will turn out to be nothing. But it could explain why the officials aren't reopening the beaches in a big fat hurry.

magnitude: 6.0 MW

epicenter: North Pacific Ocean (SOUTH OF PANAMA)

depth: 24.9mi

time: Apr 2, 2014, 9:13 AM (PDT)

coordinates: 7°55'48" -82°24'00"

source: EMSC

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
635 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

Wow things are really rattling and rolling on the Pacific Coastline. Stay safe everyone.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

I imagine that local fisherman were the ones most likely to be out on the shore before dawn.

A 6 is not any kind of tsunami concern for Hawai'i, don't worry. It's the way Civil Defense operates to protect until all unusual currents are dissipated. If you think about it , getting caught in a current is plenty dangerous for swimmers.

6. Re: ALL beaches on Kaua'i closed April 2nd - 3am to 9am!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:15