We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar cane plant tour

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sugar cane plant tour

I've been watching dvd's on hawaii in preparation for our first trip in August. One documentary showed people in hard hats touring a suger cane plant on Kauai that showed how the cane was processed into sugar. Are there any tours like that still available on the island?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar cane plant tour

I know that the last sugar cane plantation on Kauai shut down a few years ago. I don't know that they are still doing tours as there is no cane to be processed. I'm sure the Kauai posters will let us both know!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar cane plant tour

No sugar cane plant tours.

Closest to that is during July Koloa Plantation Days is a talk outside of a former processing plant,

Link below currently shows the 2013 event and likely will have something similar this year:

koloaplantationdays.com/eventdetail.php…

Also a movie and exhibits during Koloa Plantation Days:

koloaplantationdays.com/eventdetail.php…

As I right this the links above show 2013. Thus watch the following link for update of 2014

scheduled events:

http://koloaplantationdays.com/

Edited: 07 April 2014, 20:48
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar cane plant tour

We did that a long time ago at the Robinson place on the west side of the island. It was a lot of fun and very informative, we drove out into the cane fields with a guide in his van and he explained stuff to us, then we toured the inside of the plant later. They had a few other things they did as well - think one was an ATV tour then the next year or two they closed to the public and took down the signs. Glad we got to do it and sad to hear there are no more sugar cane plants.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar cane plant tour

The only working sugar cane plantation left in all of Hawaii is on Maui.

5. Re: Sugar cane plant tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:16