We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Hi we are looking at visiting Kauai in Late October early November this year. Any thoughts about weather? Im a little worried about rain at this time??

Any ideas for holiday rentals? Things to do?

Also will stay first 5-6 days in Waikiki, any suggestions for accomodation & best luau's?

Any ideas would be wonderful! Thanku

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

How many days will you have for Kauai? You do know you will need a rental car for Kauai, right? :)

I would stay in the Poipu area for the sunny weather you want . ..

What is your nightly budget? www.vrbo.com is a good place to start, but if you share a few details, many of the regulars on the forum would be happy to give you specific recommendations.

My favorite luau on Kauai is Smith's luau. Your girls will love the dancing! :)

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Are you asking about accommodations and a luau on Kauai or Oahu?

You are planning on coming in late fall. That's when I go and 80% of the time its really nice, but you will experience some rain. Its Kauai.

With kids your kids ages, I would look at Nihi Kai condos unless you need a 3 bedroom which you might. If budget isn't restricted also check out Koloa Landing. They have 3 bedroom units available. If you want a hotel, Grand Hyatt would be terrific for young kids but you would need to rent a suite or two rooms.

For questions about Oahu, please go on their forum and inquire.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Also there is a similar post and here it is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60621-i305-k73542…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Stay in Po`ipu on the south shore, and you probably won't have any rain issues at that time of year. For lu`au, I like the one at Mediterranean Gourmet, but that's a LONG drive back to Po`ipu after dark. Smith's, in Wailua, comes highly recommended and would only be about a half hour back to home base. You will definitely want a car here.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Hi thanku! Thinking of booking the Sheraton ?? A bit pricey but in a great spot as we love the beach. Smiths luau looks good. Just wondering about the wind in Oct/Nov? And if u have suggestions for good day activities for us?

Thanks again in anticipation

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

Will the Sheraton let you have 5 in a room? Most will not due to fire codes unless you get a suite or two rooms.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

" Just wondering about the wind in Oct/Nov?"

I don't think of wind when I think of that time of the year in Poipu. I've never really found wind a problem on Kauai at all, anywhere, any time. Nothing like the almost constant winds in the flat valley area like Maalaea, North Kihei, etc. October and November is a great time to visit Kauai if you don't want to chance big storms and wind. In fact, it's oftentimes this time of the year when I'm praying for the trades to pick up a little.

California
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

" And if u have suggestions for good day activities for us? " Visit Waimea Canyon and Hanapepe (maybe go to Art Night on Friday evening). Check out these companies for some activities that might sound fun to you. We've gone with both of them and highly recommend.

www.outfitterskauai.com

www.kauaibackcountry.com

You'll also find surfing lessons next to the Sheraton. You're right. Sheraton is on a great beach. Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

I would choose Hyatt over Sheraton even though the ocean is rough right there but the beach is gorgeous and your girls will appreciate the awesome pool and lagoon. Chances are all you are going to do is dunk anyway. Firecodes don't permit 5 in one room.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 22:03
California
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 5 - 3 girls aged 12,10,8 First time in Kauai

I believe the Hyatt is more expensive than the Sheraton, and the OP says being on a good beach is important to them.