We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

Hello!

I know that St. Regis is on Hanalei bay, but we are interested in going to other parts of the bay, what are the best parts, and can we get there from St. Regis? It seems as though we would have to go down and out of princeville by car, and into Hanalei, in order to get to other parts of the bay.

We are looking to snorkel, on the last week of April of next year. I understand that Kauai is not the best snorkel island, and that the north does experience a lot of rain. We are travelling to BI the week after, but we would like to take in what this area has to offer, beach wise.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

The best snorkeling isn't in Hanalei bay . . . it is further up the road, but I might add, a gorgeous drive! Tunnels has the best snorkeling on the northshore. You could visit Hideaways, which is accessible from the St. Regis area. :)

And while Kauai doesn't have the best snorkeling, I still have a fabulous time snorkeling on Kauai. :)

Edited: 14 April 2014, 22:03
California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

You're correct. You have to drive to Hanalei to get to the bay. My favorite part of the bay is Wai'oli Beach Park located at the end of either He'e or Ama'ama Roads in Hanalei--far end from the pier. Hanalei Bay isn't a good place to snorkel. You can do some snorkeling at Pu'u Poa Beach which is accessed from the St. Regis or Hideaways located nearby. Other snorkeling beaches on the North Shore are Ke'e and Tunnels.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

Yes, you will have to drive from the St. Regis to Hanalei, despite what it looked like in The Descendants. There are several nice parts of Hanalei Bay beach. Lots of people go to Black Pot by the pier, and it's worth at least a stop. The pier is something of an icon here.

Last week in April the north shore may be calm enough to snorkel. Check out Ke`e, Tunnels, Anini and Hideaways if surf conditions permit. It's worth a drive to the south shore, too, for snorkeling at Po`ipu Beach and Beach House (Lawai) Beach.

Kaua`i is home to the wettest spot on earth, which gets an average of 35' of rain annually. But, that's up in the center of the island, which is virtually inaccessible anyway. The perimeter gets way less. In late April you'll probably get a mix of sun and rain on the north shore. We used to vacation here at that time and always had mostly sunny days, maybe with short afternoon showers. You can usually find sun by heading south. Here's a good weather site: http://hawaiiweathertoday.com/

Edited: 14 April 2014, 22:07
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

First off, Hanalei Bay isn't a good snorkel spot. It's mostly a sandy bottom with a gradual drop off. There's marginal snorkeling off the beach at the St. Regis but in Princeville the best snorkeling is down the steep climb to Hideaways. Other than Hideaways I'd send you to other places on the north shore to snorkel.

That said, you've got the right idea with going to other beaches on the bay to swim and relax. And yes, you will have to leave the Princeville bluff and head down to Hanalei to get to the best parts. Just head over from the main drag towards the water and you'll come to Weke Road. This road follows the curve of the bay. Turn right on Weke and head all the way to where it ends on that side and you'll be at Black Pot Beach , where the pier is. Good spot to take pictures and look at the view but the water here is grimy from river runoff and the sand is likewise dirty. Unfortunately too many tourists end up here and don't check out the rest of the beaches on the bay which are much better. So head west on Weke instead and there are 2 other beach parks. About mid-point is Pavilions Beach Park. You'll see a small gravel parking lot on Weke next to a concrete building which houses restrooms. This beach has showers and is lifeguarded. Further west on Weke, almost to the end, is Waioli Beach Park aka Pine Trees. Same deal but the water is a little rougher here so boogie boarders and surfers prefer it. My personal favorite place to plunk down is Pavilions. Nice wide swath of clean sand and the water is shallow quite a ways out.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 22:15
California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

ST Regis is actually on Puu Poa Beach which isn't Hanalei Bay. There is some ok snorkeling right there, but the better snorkeling is at Tunnels Beach and Hideways, though in April it might still be too rough to try it.

To me the best part of snorkeling on Kauai is getting out of the water and seeing those majestic mountains glaring at with its red dirt and waterfalls. It isn't always about what you see below.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

>>>Yes, you will have to drive from the St. Regis to Hanalei, despite what it looked like in The Descendants. <<<

hehehehe, sorry nothing else to add except that gave me a chuckle.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

You would be surprised how many people ask me if its true you can walk to Hanalei Town from Puu Poa Beach because they saw George Clooney do it. I tell people, George thinks he can walk across water.....

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

George would have "his people" take care of it!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

"To me the best part of snorkeling on Kauai is getting out of the water and seeing those majestic mountains glaring at with its red dirt and waterfalls. It isn't always about what you see below."

This is so true. I often dis the snorkeling on Kauai (sorry guys, you can't have it all, well, unless you're Tahiti :-) but I absolutely love getting in the water on Kauai and looking back at that breathtaking scenery. I seldom take any actual underwater photos there but I always take my underwater camera and have some great shots of the island from the water.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center of Hanalei bay from St. Regis

Exactly Shea . . .it is pinch me beautiful! I can never really believe I am standing there, surrounded by such break taking beauty. :)