We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

Maggie Valley...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

We're thinking of doing an ATV tour but have one small reservation. Tour company states you have to be 300 lbs or under. My husband weighs just about 5lbs under that, but who knows what he will weigh-in at the day of the tour. Do they actually weigh you before you get on the ATV? We've done ATV's before, and I've never heard of a weight restriction. Is it something about the tour itself or do they think he won't fit in it? We really want to do this tour, but I know he'd be embarrassed to show up and be told he had to weigh himself especially since we're going with a group of friends. I'm thinking to skip it, but I'd really hate to miss out on this.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

Call KAUAI ATV, and ask if there are restrictions on the MUD BUG.....dune buggy....We were actually comped a mud bug and had a ball with KAUAI ATV ( poipu/koloa ) area.

They also provided, driver suits, helmets, and goggles.....which we needed, as we particiapated in what they call DO SOMETING DIRTY......we also stopped at a water fall for lunch, drove thru a long tunnel that was dynamited out during the sugar cane days, along the trail witness marvelous views. Plus had fun driving.

The OP, did not mention how much time they had before comimg over, if the ATV is all that important, perhaps a quck easy trim down would keep them under the limit since he is very close to the required weight.

We had a ball, and then our freind who worked at Kauai ATV, and comped us, met us after at Kalapaki Joes in Poipu, to talk story and have a grand ol time.

OH, after we pealed off the mud clothes, we were able to take showers at the ATV base, and get a quick fresh water washdown before driving over to Kalapaki Joes.

Total fun day !!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

We went on the Kipu Ranch ATV tour and I really do not remember anyone being weighed. I would give them a call as well. The 4 of us (husband, myself and 2 children) were in the 4 seater which was quite comfortable and fun. You might want to see if they will let you drive the 2 seater.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

We did one of the Kipu Ranch ATV tours and they did not weigh anyone. BTW...my husband weighed in at about 285 at that time and there wasn't even a blink. However, if he looks as if the machine would struggle to carry him they night question his abiltiy to participate or if he (and I'm not suggesting this is true) is not fit enough to participate. I think that's where the worry lies. I would call and see what they say. It was really a great trip and we saw parts of Kauai that are only open tthe tours allowed on private land.

Maggie Valley...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

Thanks all. He's a high school football coach. He's pretty physically fit, he's just always been a big guy. He hovers right around that mark so I just worried what would happen if he was close. I know we can't do the helicopter tours because he exceeded the weight limit and they told us they would weigh upon arrival. It's always an adventure! I think we'll take a shot!

Oh another question. It says they recommend long sleeves and long pants. That sounds so HOT to me but it sounds like it is because it is so muddy. Is that what you all wore?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

We went in June and we all wore shorts and tank tops. We took the Kipu Ranch tour and there was no mud.

Ramsey, Minnesota
Level Contributor
283 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

We did the Kipa Ranch ATV tour and I wore jeans and a tank top and that was fine. My husband is a big guy and we rode in the 2-4 seater. After I saw the practice hill I was glad I wasn't driving, I couldn't have done it! This way I just closed my eyes on the big hill and had a great time letting my husband drive. We went in November and it was rather wet and muddy for parts of the tour so we did get splashed with some mud but not drenched. It was an awesome experience!

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

Pray there is rain right before your tour because getting muddy is half the fun. We wore shorts and T's, They give you a scarf for your face if memory serves me.

8. Re: ATV Adventure (for those who have done it)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:16