We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

My husband and I will be coming to Kauai for the first time in mid-August. Although it's a lot more than I would normally want to spend, I love to take pictures and want to splurge and do both a helicopter tour and boat tour since this is probably my only trip to Hawaii. I'd appreciate your helping me narrow down the choices.

My wish list for a boat tour is:

-one small enough to go into some of the sea caves since I'm assuming this is really a neat thing to see (do any of the sunset cruises do this?)

-one that visits the most scenic parts of the Napali Coast (are there some leaving from the South Shore that do this including sunset cruises?)

-one that has a bathroom on board (that's actually useable)

-one that isn't too hard on your back while it travels over the waves

-one that isn't too crowded and allows you to move from one side of the boat to the other for the best pictures

-a bonus would be one that offers some kind of discount for booking online, in a coupon book or for 2 or more people

I will have already gone snorkeling twice on Oahu and once or twice on Kauai so a snorkeling trip isn't mandatory. Of those of you who have gone on both a morning/snorkeling and evening sunset cruise, do you have a preference?

My wish list for a helicopter tour is:

-one that flies with the doors off (nice but not mandatory because these seem extremely expensive--I'd consider windows as long as there's really good visibility and they keep their windows clean)

-one that will cancel if the weather is lousy rather than make a quick buck and fly regardless of the weather

-one with a good safety record

-one where the pilot is willing to take a little extra time and turn the helicopter to let passengers sitting on both sides see things

**one who will actually honor my window seating request and where I'm not going to be stuck in the middle of the back seat or even in the middle of the front seat if I can't get a clear view for pictures. I'm only 5'3" and would be really upset if this happened, especially with all the money I paid.

-one that offers some kind of discount if booked on-line, etc.

Thanks for your help!

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

I wish it was that way but my husband hates to travel so is only doing this trip to appease me. I guess I could always travel solo.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

My hubby used to be that way, too, after traveling so much with work he declared our retirement would be stay-at-home. To appease me, though, he decided we should go back to my favorite island, the Big Island. Now, he expects me to book our next trip before even completing the current one. Men....

Btw, I think the helicopter tour on Kauai is the best of all the islands. I think we went with Blue Hawaiian. The raft tour of the north shore is spectacular, going in sea caves, snorkeling, etc., but it is definitely not for someone with back issues. I don't remember who we went with, but Captain Andy rings a bell.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:43
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

+4 for Mauna Loa Helicopters and Holo Holo Adventurer out of Hanalei.

on the road to...
Level Contributor
560 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

Liko Kauai leaves from Waimea (not Port Allen) but their boat is small enough to go into some of the caves and does have a small but clean restroom. I've gone with them twice and the personnel were great on both trips. You are able to move around a bit, but since it's all open, the sight lines are good even if it's a more full trip.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,050 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

I second Liko Kaua`i for the boat tour. It's not fancy, but it's a good tour and will definitely go into the caves if ocean conditions permit.

Helicopter - All companies will cancel if they deem it unsafe. All companies have about the same safety record. The risks are the same across the board. All pilots turn the bird around so everyone can see. Safari will give you a front seat (the prime seat) for a fee of $25. Well worth it IMHO. I believe all companies discount for online booking.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

Thanks for your suggestions. That's good to know about Safari. In your opinion is a doors off flight worth the extra cost?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,050 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

I couldn't justify the expense. My guest got great pictures anyway. Safari asks that you wear dark clothes to limit reflections in the windows.

18. Re: Help me narrow down a boat and helicopter tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16