We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

Level Contributor
147 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

We just got back from an 8 day stay in Kauai. We booked the Coral Reef, having stayed

there previously...loving it back in 2010. We were very disappointed, it is under new management

and is not as well maintained as it was back then by the manager whose name was George.

The air conditioner barely kept the room tolerable, I asked a couple other people who said the

same thing, maybe they need new ones? The pool was not kept very clean, there was green

algae around the edges and on the steps. The sliding glass door windows were very dirty, washed

them ourselves. The TV is not HD even tho they have HD so the top of the heads were often

cut off and the sound was terrible. Our towel rack in the bathroom kept falling off. Two of the Hawaiian pictures in the room were very old and faded. The footboard of the bed was chipped

up, could use a bit of stain to fix. The outside stairway was very dirty and chipped of paint.

Some power washing would be good. We were very disappointed as we loved this hotel for

the location. Lastly we had a coachroach in our bathroom, the hotel just said oh they come in

when it rains, I had asked for some bug spray but was told the maintenance man had it locked up.

I hate to give bad reviews but I think there is room for improvement, we will not be staying in the near future.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

How sad....I remember how much you'd liked the hotel. I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful! Please help others by adding your review to the TA listing and on yelp.com

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

Reviews need to be placed in the proper section of Trip Advisor under hotel reviews for Kapaa.

Cockroaches are not fun to see, but its not unusual to see one now and then. Sorry that it seems nothing worked at this location. Maybe they need to take that big ugly sign down in front of their hotel, saying they are #1 on TA for hotels in Kapaa.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

jebett, that sign's been down for a while.

To the OP: Too bad they have gone downhill, Some of what you said is sounds terribly unpleasant. But, roaches are a fact of life in the tropics. Seeing ONE really isn't a big issue.

You might like the location of Pono Kai. It's just on the other end of Kapa`a.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

It was up in March.

Reviews aren't bad except for one.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60616-d87214-R…

It is what it is. A motel on the highway with a non swimmable beach behind it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

Hmmmm. I was talking about the big banner by their driveway. Was there another one? I don't remember seeing it when I passed by this afternoon.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

Yes that's the banner. They must have taken it down. Good. Just another thing to junk up that end of town.

7. Re: Hotel issue - Coral Reef in Kapaa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16