We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is late August off season?

Tucson
7 posts
Save Topic
Is late August off season?

We usually come in September but we are booking late and our condo isn't available. We are thinking about late August. I think this should be a somewhat slow time since kids will be going back to school.....but not sure! We fly standby on flight as a retired airline employee, so we don't want to go when it's super busy. I know there really isn't any low season in beautiful Kauai, any thoughts?

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is late August off season?

We were in Kauai late July last year and it was relatively quiet IMO. You will be fine.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is late August off season?

Yes late August is starting to slow down a little bit, but its still pretty popular. I just booked tickets for my son and friends to arrive the 29th and it wasn't easy getting seats. As a former airline employee myself, you know the dates to choose to get on non rev. It gets busy again in early Sept with Labor Day. I still find August and September pretty busy, but not June and July crazy with kids, busy.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is late August off season?

The last time I was on Kauai was in 2009, end of August. It was wonderful! The only kids, other than our teens, we encountered were home-schooled ones (I asked!). We had arrived from Oahu where there were also lower numbers of visitors. This year, it's a repeat - Oahu and Kauai, end of August.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is late August off season?

Plumeria, not to doubt your assessment but remember that 2009 was shortly after a big worldwide recession and the financial institutional meltdowns of 2008. Tourist and discretionary travel was hugely decreased. Just saying that I would not take that time period as an examplar of what to expect now. We noticed the negative impact wherever we traveled during those years, including Hawaii. My sister's business in Honolulu was significantly negatively affected during 2008-2009 and even into 2010.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is late August off season?

I thought to mention that, David, a very good point! It was also the reason we got to enjoy 3 islands for airfare under $600/pp.

In the time since then, even more US schools are starting in August rather than the traditional after labor day start. Many universities also start in August; all of which improves ones chance of lighter crowds at the end of August.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is late August off season?

All you said is so true PlumeriaD, but remember families with small pre school aged families like to travel as that time because airfares go down the end of August. When I visit the first few weeks in Sept. the plane is all small kids.

I can tell you that the first dates to book up in my place are mid August to late Sept.

Times are changing. This is not 2009. Visitor count is up, Kauai is being rediscovered due to movies filmed on the island, travel magazine articles etc, and airfares aren't going through the roof. Airlines are offering companion tickets, more flights from the West Coast, and Kauai offers pretty good rates on accomodations vs other islands. I am finding there is very little off season anymore except the first two weeks of December.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is late August off season?

Good to know! I always thought of Maui as "baby island" but I guess everyone is changing travel habits.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is late August off season?

The higher summer season technically goes through Labor Day weekend. Yes, it's slowed down a bit towards the end of August but prices haven't typically don't drop until after Labor Day.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is late August off season?

"Baby island". Ha ha. That's cute. My impression from talking to dozens of people every week, is folks are getting "tired" of some of the other islands....the been there done that syndrome. They are seeking a more low key, kick back kind of experience and that is Kauai, but trust me, Maui isn't suffering one bit.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is late August off season?

Kauai has become our yearly trip over Labor Day, and the flights from California tend to be pretty full.