We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Has anyone snorkelled in January in Kauai? I believe that's the time of year they have big waves. If it's good to snorkel, where about's on the island do you recommend and where should we stay. We like middle of the road accommodation. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

You will find the calmest water for snorkeling on the southern shores generally. :)

California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

In January the ocean is calmer on the south side. Lawai Beach is one spot to snorkel.

The "big waves" are on the North Shore, most days.

Mentioned in this post
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
478 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

I haven't snorkeled in January, but I your best bet will probably be on the South Shore at Lawa'i Beach or the Poipu Beach area. You might want to pick up a copy of "Snorkel Kauai" by Judy and Mel Malinowski. In January, I'd stay on the South Shore. What type of accommodations are you interested in? Kiahuna Plantation is middle of the road on one of the best beaches on Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Lawa'i Beach
Lawa'i Beach
166 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,869 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,823 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Thanks for that. We like clean and comfortable low rise accommodation, and not big hotel group style accommodation. Something with a local feel would be wonderful!

California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Kiahuna sounds perfect for you, but if you want to use their pool, you need to reserve one with Castle and not Outrigger. I think I got that right. The grounds are lovely and very tropical in feel, they are low rise, on a good beach, but choose the right one and read the reviews. Luckily Kauai isn't about big mega resorts except Hyatt.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Since you're also going to Maui, I'd save the snorkeling for there. Kauai isn't very good for snorkeling even in the best areas in summer, Lawai is honestly pretty poor. Plenty to do above ground.

It's best to give a specific nightly accommodation budget, things like "middle of the road" mean a lot of different things to different people (agree with jebett though, about Kiahuna).

Edited: 09 May 2014, 03:16
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
478 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

I can't remember where I was reading this (some article on snorkeling) but they said in Hawaii, snorkeling is best on The Big Island, Kauai and Maui in that order. I find it all meh after going to The Great Barrier Reef but for newbies, Kauai is just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Yes, all Castle units have use of the pool across the street ( which IMO isn't a reason to book at KP ) and some Outrigger units. We've rented from both these owners directly--highly recommend both.

www.condokauai.net

www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com

www.kiahunaplantationcondo.com (haven't stayed here but have been inside).

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Whether or not snorkeling on Kauai is good or not is relative. If you live on the Big Island, I can understand dissing the snorkeling on Kauai. If you're from Missouri, snorkeling on Kauai in January is spectacular! Just being in water outside in January is spectacular. As for accommodations, you could do like we do---stay on the east side and head north if the surf is down or south if the surf is up on the north shore. If you'ld like to see some snorkeling in Jan., I have a bunch of pictures of where we snorkeled here:

…blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-kauai-trip-12-alo…

I also have a lot of snorkel photos from Jan. 2013 on Maui here:

…blogspot.com/2013/02/2013-wowwie-maui.html

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling in Kauai in January & where on the island is best

Yes, we all love looking at slabeaume's pics. I think you'll have a great time snorkeling and exploring Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii