We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

Hi - I'm travelling t Kauai in early Jan 2015 with a group of Friends (13 of us in Total) We're wanting to hire a van with a driver/guide for one - maybe two days sightseeing around Kauai. Anyone have any suggestions. We don't mind a bit dodgy - just after someone cheap :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

You likely would find it cheaper to buy out a small van tour that is an existing tour rather than to do a charter. In the USA, "hiring" a driver or a guide is not normally the way we do it. Rather we look at guide and tour offerings and select one of those from their menu.

There are also "custom" tours, which you may want.

You don't want a dodgy tour because then you won't be insured. In Hawai'i, a guide must have a PUC license to legally transport paying passengers, and that takes some effort and money and means the guide is reputable.

Personal car insurance does not cover passengers who are paying or any commercial activity, so you need someone legal for touring who is licensed and insured.

The Kaua'i forum regulars will know the best guides.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

my advice is to "hire" (or "rent" as we call it in the states) the van yourselves and tour around the island on your own terms.... or, with such a big group, perhaps split it up and rent 2 smaller vehicles (SUV's) to give the group some flexibility....

my 2¢

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

I think that is the better way to go as well, if you feel up to it.

I was replying only to what you had specifically asked about, not knowing your reason for wanting a driver. I figured it might be you don't want to drive on the unfamiliar side of the road.

I hesitate to tell anyone who feels uncomfortable with switching sides to just do it. For some it will be easy and for others not so much.

California
Level Contributor
36,437 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

"Cheap" and hiring drivers do not go together. Its not like you are going to get any great deals. This is who I have used and as a matter of fact, they are taken a large group of us to dinner this Wednesday night.

http://kauaishuttles.com

5. Re: Kauai Van and driver rental for 13 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17