We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better, Avis or Budget?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better, Avis or Budget?

The rates on DHCR just went down on our rental so they are the same price at Avis and Budget. Anyone have recent experience with these companies? Which one is faster or has better/newer cars? Thanks in advance, Michelle

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

The car rental agencies don't make as big a difference to me as the price. Maybe someone else can be more helpful.

colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

from what I have learned- budget ends up trying to add costs either up front or at then end ( like a cleaning fee, etc) - there is a reason why their price undercuts other agencies- is it service- it it quality of cars and/or maintenance- is it fees?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

My husband prefers Avis. The last time we used Budget, they did try to upsell me on everything.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

I have been coming here for years and maybe I just got lucky, but I have never ever had an issue with any car rental company. We have used all of the companies at one time or another. We go with the best price. As long as a car is clean and functional I do not care what it is like. One word I will say to anyone coming here for the first time, the roads are narrow and winding. If you do not need extra room for additional passengers, get the smallest car you can comfortably use. Parking spaces are at a minimum and small. Using Thrifty this year for the first time and so far their check in and processing was quick and simple. And ALL companies will try to upswell you something. I was in sales, so I know very easily how to just say NO.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

Been travelling to Kauai at least once a year for the past 35 years or so. You can find a bad report online for all of them from people with limited experience renting cars on Kauai. One trip, one experience, doesn't give the full picture. In the long run they're all about the same, other than prices differing a little from time to time. Go with the best price.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

We have also used either Avis or Budget for years on Kauai -- can't see much difference.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

Thanks everyone for your help. We have been to kauai many times, but our last trip was 3 years ago. So I wasn't sure if there was a preference. Avis and Budget are the exact same price, so there is my dilemma.

I also have a backup quote for thrifty but I got it a while ago and it doesn't have the airport fees/taxes. I'm not sure if when we go in July there will be additional fees when we get there?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

Thanks everyone for your help. We have been to kauai many times, but our last trip was 3 years ago. So I wasn't sure if there was a preference. Avis and Budget are the exact same price, so there is my dilemma.

I also have a backup quote for thrifty but I got it a while ago and it doesn't have the airport fees/taxes. I'm not sure if when we go in July there will be additional fees when we get there?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,314 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

The Thrifty office/lot is located about 5 minutes from the airport, but still offers a free shuttle. There are no airport fees or taxes for this location since technically it's off-airport. There was some talk of the fees/taxes being charged for this off-airport location, but evidently it did not go through. The fee is $4.50 per day and the tax is 11.11%...that all adds up quickly, so if the base rate is the same, your total with definitely be less with Thrifty.

10. Re: Which is better, Avis or Budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16