We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cliffs Resort

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
The Cliffs Resort

Hi

We are staying at the cliffs resort in August, are there any restaurants in walking distance, is it possible to get taxi's?

Thanks

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cliffs Resort

Oh dear, I do hope you're planning on renting a car. Princeville is mostly condos and homes in a planned community around a couple of golf courses. I may be wrong, but I think it's over a mile to the St Regis which does have a couple of expensive restaurants or the Westin. Taxis will be available, but again, very expensive and not just sitting waiting for a fare. You need to make advance arrangements.

Without a car, you'll miss all the best of the island.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
919 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cliffs Resort

The Princeville Center is walking distance with a few good food options, but 3chis is correct - it would be best to hire a car so you could at least go to Hanalei (10-15 min drive) for many more choices..

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cliffs Resort

Staying on the North Shore you must have a car. Yes you can walk to the small shopping center about a 15-20 minute walk from The Cliffs. There aren't many places to eat, but there is a grocery store, CJ's for steaks, Federicos for mexican food, a small take out chinese restaurant, an ice cream shop and Tiki Iniki, a bar/restaurant. Also in the gas station is a good place for burgers and some people like their pizza...not me....

Also within a walk of about 20 mins is Nanea at The Westin.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cliffs Resort

Ditto on all above....you need a car. I am at the Cliffs now and have been here many times and would not think of not renting a car. Nothing is less than a mile walk. Plus, aren't you planning on seeing anywhere else on the island....that would be a shame.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cliffs Resort

Thank you for the replies, we have hired a car for getting around but was thinking I might like the odd glass of something with an evening meal.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Cliffs Resort

Just a thought, what do people mean by expensive in the States for eating out, are we looking at similar prices to the Uk?

Which restaurants would you recommend, either driving or walking?

On a non food theme, what would your top 5 attractions/ must see things on the island be?

And while I'm on a roll, is the weather traditionally dry in late Aug?

Much obliged for any assistance you can give. Can't wait to visit your beautiful island.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Cliffs Resort

I'm so glad you'll have a car! Here's the menu with prices for Kaua‘i Grill at the St. Regis......very expensive. But you can get a fantastic meal for less than $10.00 at one of the food trucks or local places like Mark's Place in Puhi. I love Happy Hour too at Kalypso (Hanalei), The Tavern (Princeville Golf Course), Keoki's (Po‘ipu).

http://www.kauaigrill.com/menus.php

Have you gone through the Top Questions to the right of this page? Lots of good info there.

Weather at the end of August is normally fairly dry...just scattered showers. Warm ocean and normally flat conditions.

Top attraction I think everyone should see - the NaPali Coast, preferably by boat, but by air is good too.

Sunset at Hanalei Bay or down at Salt Pond. Sunrise somewhere along the East side...Kealia a good spot. Some of the best things on Kaua‘i are totally free.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 20:29
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Cliffs Resort

BTW, the Cliffs at Princeville have a very active page on Facebook. Like them and you'll get all the scoops.

https:/…115612761793516

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Cliffs Resort

"Similar prices to the UK" for what? You can find all price ranges. Generally I find when I am in London that I can get a decent "snack-type" meal (sandwich or similar) for less than in the US. But when you consider the exchange rate, nicer meals are probably cheaper in the US.

But just like in the UK it depends on what you are eating...lots of options.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The Cliffs Resort

I believe what RichieRich is saying is take the exact same type of meal / same category of restaurant, and would it be more or less expensive than in the U.K. I can't say as it's been too long since I've been to the U.K.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 21:49