We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First wake up in paradise!

Medford, Oregon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First wake up in paradise!

Aloha! I'm in bed with a coffee and a smile on my face waiting for our travel companions to wake up. Listening to those pesky roosters (that's a tease, I don't mind them). I'm horrible at remembering things unless I write it down right away so I figured I'd get my first day report in.

Travel day was a bit stressful. 14 hours before our 5 am Friday departure I got the dreaded text message saying our flight had been cancelled. We rebooked with one extra connection and a 6 hour later arrival time. Oh well. There is a silver lining in everything right? We were rebooked for the main flight (6hrs) on to Hawaiian Airlines. Two good things: 1) one of the only airlines that still serves a COMPLIMENTARY meal and 2) $40 upgrade to premium seating. Best $80 I've spent on a flight.

We were meeting friends here and originally set to arrive within minutes of each other. We had the rental car reservation. Alamo was very understanding and let our travel companions pick up the car. I was pleasantly surprised since it was all prepaid through Expedia.

They got checked in a hung out at the pool until it was time to pick us up at the airport. First stop, Costco. We got snacks, some lunch stuff and booze. We always get a pop up sun shelter for beach days. $50 well spent, keeps the coolers in the shade and is a nice place to sit out of the sun and make lunch. We pay it forward and find someone just arriving to give it to on the day we leave.

Hotel time: we've been coming to Kauai yearly for several years now. We always stay at the Courtyard Marriott at Coconut Beach. I know it's not the Ritz but it's right for us. The location is best for us because we like to check the weather each day and then decide where to go. We are definitely not stationary on our vacations.

A couple notes about the hotel. It's time for a mattress change. They are getting rundown and are certainly not the mattresses you think of when you hear Marriott. Staff is always super friendly. The place is starting to become super Marriott-ized. In a good way. A Polynesian show was going on when we arrived. Didn't stay to watch long but looked fun. Lots of other resort-like touches.

Today's agenda: breakfast at Ono Family Restaurant to start the trip off right and then a hike down to Wailua Falls. We are easing into the trip for the sake of our first timer friends. Then dinner at the Hukilau Lanai. I am in particular most excited about this.

Time to get out of bed ;)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First wake up in paradise!

I cannot wait to have breakfast again at Ono Family Rest.! Thanks for your first day's report. I love being the first one up to enjoy the morning (and roosters, too!).

California
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First wake up in paradise!

I'm putting a pop-up sun shelter on my Costco list--seems much easier than dealing with an umbrella. Thanks for the TR. Have a great time!

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First wake up in paradise!

Welcome to paradise Shannon. Roosters had me up early today also. We are at the Cliffs in Princeville starting our third and final week here.

Do you happen to know what the big building project is out in front of the Courtyard Marriott.

We had another wonderful meal at Hukilau Lanai. Hopefully they will have the Opah when you dine there...our favorite.

Aloha and have fun

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,005 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First wake up in paradise!

Richpa, Not Shannon but the new construction is a Longs Drug. Guess the one in Safeway Plaza wasn't good enough and the traffic wasn't congested enough in Kapaa. Just my opinion.

Shannon, enjoy your stay. Love the warm syrups at Ono.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 19:09
California
Level Contributor
35,817 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First wake up in paradise!

Yup its a GIANT Longs. Sure is close to Plantation Hale.

6. Re: First wake up in paradise!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:17