We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of plans but no expectations!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of plans but no expectations!

I see so many people that have a full itinerary for their Kauai trip. My daughter and I are going a little different route. She lives in Alaska (I have a fabulous trip there in June!!) so we are each going to make a list of things we want to do and compare when we meet up in Alaska. We have already determined that many of our wants are similar so we just have to knock out the details. We both want to rent bikes for the week, do a Napali boat tour, eat shaved ice, do many hikes, Smith Luau etc. So we are each going armed with our list with most important/do not miss to "if we do it, great, but if not it's okay".

My question is: What things besides the boat tour and renting bikes should we book ahead and which things can we fly by the seat of our pants on? I definitely want to have lots of down time to just sit and stare at all the beauty.

Oh, what do people do with the bikes if they rent for the week? I have a message in to our condo owner to see whether there is a place to keep them but would they be safe just locked up outside?

Thanks!!! Getting very excited,

Kris

This is in October if that makes a difference.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

Well, you will be enjoying the best of both worlds this year! You will find that it is very easy to simply wander and take Kaua'i without an itinerary. Do much if your plans can be changed due to weather, especially in a transitional month like October. You have a good plan and just reserve your must do's.

Alaska is a very different animal in thatcher ground you might want to cover is massive, and very busy time of year. Very special to be visiting a family member resident because you might see and learn more than if you were on a tour vacation. I love the visitors that have your the state on their own, as opposed to tours only. You have more opportunity to go at your own pace and see things you might not otherwise. Have fun! Deb

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

Kris, what in area of Kaua'i or resort are you staying? One place for the whole time? How many days?

(Good to see you "face up" and smiling! LOL.....LOL......Caddy)

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

LOL Caddy....Finally figured it out!

We are staying at the Wailua Bay View for 8 days, arriving October 27th. I just heard from the owner and he is looking into where we can store the bikes.

Deb, we are meeting in Anchorage for three days to sight see and so my daughter can stock up on supplies then we are on to Bethel for the rest of the trip. My only trip to Alaska was on Christmas a few years ago so I didn't see a thing!! I don't know how you handle the darkness!

Two wonderful trips to look forward to!

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

I'm sure the bike rental operators get this question all the time. Just ask them if you're allowed to lock up the bike outside your rental condo or if you have to have it indoors. They probably provide locks for the bikes. Also important to do as you did - inquire if it's okay to have bikes at the condo either locked up outside or in the condo.

California
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

In October, you could do a boat trip resv at the last minute unless there is a special boat you want to go on. Out of the North Shore is most likely out. Bike rentals? I wouldn't bother reserving ahead. There are bike shops galore all over Kapaa.

CTinAz could answer the bike lock question since he lives at WBR. If it were me, I would NOT leave them out. What I would do is put them on the lanai, but the complex might not let you.

Smith's Luau is so big I don't think you will have a hard time getting a last minute reservation.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

Great! Thanks! I am now trying to find the closest bike rental place. I just rode the bike path on google maps and saw all the places I wanted to stop and stick my toes in the water!

Kris

California
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

From WBV the bike rentals are more up in Kapaa but maybe CTinAz knows of some closer to the complex.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

Daisy...:

Closest bike rental place to WBV is at Boss Frog's, next to Snorkel Bob's and across from Foodland.

I have no idea what their rates are but from link below you can find phone number of Kapaa location and call and ask.

http://www.bossfrog.com/kapaa.php

On same side of street as above but a few blocks more is Kauai Cycle:

http://kauaicycle.com/

Wailua Bay View will be installing a bike rack that you can chain your bike to but may not be done by time of your visit in late October. Until installation of bike rack, some visitors chain their bikes to some walkway posts that is out of the way from most foot traffic. You can speak to the manager (Tim) when you arrive on where he recommends you to chain your bike(s).

Placing bike on lanai will be up to owner or rental firm you are renting condo from.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

daisy... (Kris)....

Although should not be a major problem for you, be aware that although the bike path does go in front of Wailua Bay View, a few blocks north is Coconut MarketPlace and the bike path currently ends there at Papaloa Road until a section of the path is built from Papaloa Road to about Waipouli Beach Resort (hopefully in 2015).

Presenly from Wailua Bay View you can ride the path to Coconut MarketPlace where it ends. Ride behind Coconut MarketPlace and then along Aleka Loop Road which will take you out to Kuhio.Highway. At that point you can go north along a grassy section towards Snorkel Bob's. A little farther and you will reach Waipouli Beach Resort and bike path continues north from in front.

The following map link shows a "blue line" of latest section of Bike path completed and connects into section that can take you well past Kealia Beach. When viewing the following link, you can move the map up and to the right to see where Wailua Bayview is (Papaloa Rd at Kuhio) and also the route I mention above to get to the path once you reach Coconut MarketPlace.

http://goo.gl/maps/bMfFq

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Coconut Marketplace
Coconut Marketplace
896 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waipouli Beach Resort
Waipouli Beach Resort
1,484 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of plans but no expectations!

Thanks! Great information.

Kris