We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in August- 1st time

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in August- 1st time

My 11 years old daughter and me (40 years old mom) plan to go to Kauai in August 2014 for the first time. Plan to stay for 6-10 nights. Have very limited time to prepare and would appreciate any help!! What part of island to stay on? I prefer do not rent a car, to stay in a hotel or condo via vrbo with an easy walking to a beach. Plan on swimming, relaxing on a beach and snorkeling, would like to take a tour or 2 if they pick up from where we will be staying (like we did on Maui).

Our perfect place is:

1. clean and safe (not too fancy is ok too)

2. walking distance to the beach that doesn't have too strong waves (I am just learing swimming).

4. restaurants and grossery shop in an easy walking distance or easy cab/bus ride, or shattle from hotel/condo to there

Plan to spend between $100-200 per night, possibly more depending on how many nights we are staying and if we need a cab or walk to get to the places to eat.

Looking forward to that trip!!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Kauai in August- 1st time

Approx 8-10 minute walk from Kiahuna Plantation to Poipu Beach. You have to go along the beach until you hit the path at the Koa Kea Hotel, then go past the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, then back down to the sand for a little going past the sand bar. The lifeguard tower is past the sand bar that juts out. Look on Google Maps, it will make more sense.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 13:52
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Kauai in August- 1st time

If you can get a condo at Kiahuna Plantation in your budget, book it today. You will not be sorry!

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Kauai in August- 1st time

Great!!:) It helps a lot, thank you very much. It solves a problem!

I desided to rent a car. You all are right, it would be hard to see all what we want to see without driving, and cab is much too expensive. I was dreaming about this vocation for many years and want to see as much as we can.

All of your responces are greatly appreciated, it became so much easier to deside!! We will book a condo on KP in Poipu for 6-7 days.

For the second part of a trip will stay on North - where would you recommended to stay in Hanalei for 3-4 days? If we stay in Prinsville, is Westin a good idea? or something else? Walking everywhere is still a preference if possible.

34. Re: Kauai in August- 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15