We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November with a baby - need some advice!

Westcoast_Girl
Level Contributor
315 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
November with a baby - need some advice!

Hello! We are a couple in our late 30's and were planning to go to Maui with our baby who will be 10 months in November. Since I have already been to Maui and Oahu, I am not feeling that excited about going back to the same place so we wanted to try a new island and considered Kauai.

We are bringing our baby for sure, so that's not part of the discussion. We will rent a car. We plan to stay 7-9 days and are looking for a place to stay that has a kitchen and laundry. I know there are a lot of choices for condos on VRBO but wondered a few things:

1) Should we only consider Poipu? Seems the most obvious choice for amenities and close to shops etc but we don't have to if we find the perfect place to stay elsewhere on the island that isn't too remote.

2) Speaking of places to stay, we will likely spend a lot of down time hanging out most evenings on the lanai and on the property itself with the baby which is fine by us. This is why I would prefer a hotel for a bit more going on, with more of a resorty feel and larger grounds, but we do want a kitchen so that eliminates some but not all hotels. Thoughts on any that might work hotel-wise?

Our budget is ideally $250 per night or less. Doesn't need to be oceanfront.

3) Any other advice? We know with a baby this may be more of a change of scenery vs a big trip/getaway which is fine by us. Hoping there's enough to do with a car to have some interesting days out.

4) Is Kauai not ideal?

Thanks so much!

California
Level Contributor
36,437 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

Kiahuna Plantation sounds like what you are looking for. What's great about KP is its proximity to The Sheraton Hotel and shops and restaurants across the street. Spring for a unit as close to the water as possible. The grounds are beautiful, its on a terrific beach and Poipu is wonderful in November. Not many units have a washer/dryer inside, but there are some out there.

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

You will love Kauai…perfect place for baby! We stayed in condo #420 Nihi Kai Villas rented direct with owner via VRBO. We loved this location. The condo view was awesome. But it is upstairs which might be too much with baby…so look for ground unit!

Westcoast_Girl
Level Contributor
315 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

If it's a really great place we can let go of the laundry!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

As fas as I know, all of the units at Nihi Kai have laundry in the condo.... All of the units we have stayed in or visited do. Nihi Kai is a very nice complex, oceanfront heated pool and close to the beach.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

We've traveled to Kauai with an infant twice now - once when our oldest was 9 months and then when our youngest was 7.5 months (and then again when they were 3 and 4.75yo). Kauai is great for kids! It's easy to navigate and has plenty of grocery stores/Walmart etc. carrying baby needs, and the Hawaiian culture is very family-centered, so you won't get a lot of dirty looks taking a baby into most restaurants.

I hate staying in hotels with kids because it's hard to get naps in - my kids would never settle down and we all ended up cranky and tired. I would pick a 1 BR at Kiahuna (make sure you rent through the agency that has access to the pool) or a 2 BR at Nihi Kai. KP has a big pool with a zero entry "beach" area - perfect for little ones to sit and splash. NK has a separate shallow kiddie pool. That said, the Hyatt has an amazing lagoon-type pool and kids' activities- walk over for the 9 am koi feeding and 10 am bird talk even if you don't stay there.

No hotels have a kitchen per your request, but you could look at units at the Marriott Waiohai - it's condos but in a resort setting.

Plenty of condo units stock their own Pack N Plays, stair gates, high chairs, etc. so look around for those before renting/bringing your own.

Having laundry in the unit makes it easy to pack light, so that's always on my list!

I blogged about our last two trips with littles at http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com Feel free to PM me with questions about traveling with small ones.

6. Re: November with a baby - need some advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15