We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines

I am booking a flight from Sacramento to Lihue with 1 stop in Honolulu via Hawaiian Airlines. There are 2 options: 1.5h layover between the flights or almost 4h in Honolulu. The question is how often the flight are delayed and is it better to book earlier flight in a hope that if it doesn't make it to Honolulu on time they HA will put us (2 people) to the next flight. Or better book with the later flight ta make sure that we definetely able to get on it (what if it is ful??) and just wait for 4h in Honolulu airport? Anything from your experience?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

I assume you are flying with Hawaiian from Sacramento to Lihue? If so, I would go ahead and book the 1.5 layover in Honolulu and check your bags ALL the way through to Lihue when you check in at Sacramento. We have flown Hawaiian many times over the years and they are a very reliable airline. We flew last summer from LAX-HNL-LIH with no delays or problems what so ever. The 90 minutes will give you plenty of time to deplane the SAC-HNL flight and walk over to the inter-island terminal to your flight to Kauai.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

If you are booking the entire segment from SMF to LIH just go with the shortest time allowed by the Hawaiian Airlines ticketing web site. If you get in late from SMF, no big loss, they will just put you on the next flight available. Early afternoon flights are rarely full and almost always on-time inter-island. The flight coming in from SMF is usually on-time but I have been on a flight that was almost 1/2 late because there was a big storm brewing in the Pacific and the pilots chose a smoother route around it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Well, I can tell you that Hawaiian Airlines is one of the best for being on time out of all the airlines, so it would take something exceptional to make them late. I would go for the 1.5 myself. :)

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Thank you very much! Booking it now:)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Flightawre.com shows very good record, as expected, for Hawaiian SMF to HNL.

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Get to Kauai as soon as you can.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Thank you very much! Booked earlier flight:)

8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 07:15