We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

I was planning to split my 12 days stay in 2 parts: first 5-6 ds on South then the rest on North. While l was looking and didn't found yet a cottage i. Hanalei, noticed that the first day of my stay no longer available on the condo I chose on South but didnt book yet.

We plan to do a helicopter tour from Lihau the day after arrival. So I am thinking may be to rent a room in a hotel in Lihau for 1 day, arriving on afternoon, sleep in a hotel (Garden Islander Inn?) , go for a helicopter tour next morning, then buy groceries and drive to Poipu where condo will be available by then. Then in 5 days drive to Hanalea for the rest of our stay (6 ds). However not sure if so many changes, packing etc is a good idea. Anyone done that?

Also what special to do on 1 evening in Lihai august 6? (Except going to the beach). We arrive after 2 pm.

Is Smith luai performances available every evening or on some days of the week? Sorry for spelling, typing on iphone.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Smith's Luau is only certain nights of the week and is seasonal on what days they are. Never Saturday or Sunday as far as I have seen.

Nov - Jan

M/W/F

Feb - Oct:

M/W/Th/F

Jun - Aug:

M/T/W/Th/F

You can adjust the calendar for the month you are coming and be certain of days they have the Luau:

www.smithskauai.com/smithskauai/cart.html…

Edited: 29 May 2014, 07:51
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Since you arrive at 2 pm, my suggestion is on day of arrival, shop for some groceries and go to your Poipu condo and not stay at Garden Island Inn. Going next day to Lihue for helicopter should be no problem.

Lots of folks split their stay between Poipu and Hanalei.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Oh, I see that you say that the first night your Poipu condo not available but have not booked yet.

If you mention complex but not specific unit but in general size of your party and budget, others may have suggestions on Poipu condos that you can check availability of.

Edit: Looks like you have done some of that in threads a few days ago.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 08:48
Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Yes I chose this condo based on the wonderful advice here :) and just trying to figure put now for how many days to book it based on availability of whatever place I will stay in Hanalei. (Which I didnt find yet)

Big thank you for the link to Smith luai, looking forward to performance there. Would like to do it without dinner, not sure how to book without dinner.

What else to do on the evening of arrival in Lihue? Anything soecific what is located there and easier reachable when you stay there rather then going to Poipu and back?

Not sure what other options I have except trying to find a different condo in Poipu to start on August 6 (work 12h shifts so it is hard to even find tome to do it) versus just stay for 1 night in Lihue and enjoy it? If stay for 1 night in Lihue is Garden Islander inn a good choice?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

To do Smith's show only, call Smith's direct to make reservation. I do not believe can do on-line.

If you do decide to stay at Garden Island Inn the first night, after you check-in you could walk over to nearby Kalapaki Bay and enjoy some beach time there. This beach is by the Marriott Hotel.

For some eats you are within walking distance of:

Dukes Barefoot Bar

http://www.dukeskauai.com/menus/barefoot-bar

Dukes Dining room

http://www.dukeskauai.com/menus/dining-room

Beach Hut

www.yelp.com/biz/kalapaki-beach-hut-lihue-2

Kalapaki Joe's

http://kalapakijoes.com/

Ferrel Pig

http://www.theferalpigkauai.com/

....along with a few other places. You can read reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp.

There are a few shops nearby that you may find of interest.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Thank you very much!

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Thank you very much! If choose 1, which of those places is better food and less expensive (for gluten free child who eats chicken and vegeterian mom). We both like mexican food.

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

I'd recommend booking a place on the South Shore for your entire stay. Take a drive to the North one day, but just enjoy all the South has to offer the rest of the time. You'll have many more restaurant and shopping options and you'll be near some great beaches. Whatever you decide, you should book fairly soon. Just my opinion.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Ok...so you booked the condo in Poipu and didn't book the right dates or you want a condo in Poipu and they don't have the first night open? I am so confused!!! If the later, do as 22Kauai said and book another condo with all the dates you need for the south shore. If the first part, sure, stay one night but don't do Garden Island. Book something on a site like Hotwire or Priceline and get a good deal at Kauai Beach or Kauai Coast or even Courtyard By Marriott. There are lots of things to do in Kapaa. Waterfalls to see, bike trails, playgrounds, snorkeling at Lydgate, kayaking the Wailua River.

For gluten free diets, Sweet Maries in Lihue is the place to go, but also Mermaids in Kapaa has items. Most places now have gluten free options.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split stay in 3 parts? Does it worth it?

Kauai22 and Jebett, thank you very much, great ideas, and info on gluten free places is awesome.

Jebett, I like a beachfront condo at KP in Poipu and they don't have the first night open. Its the reason why I need to spend 1 night in some other place and would like to be near the airport because helicopter tour is the next morning (and I prefer minimum driving, so it will save me a trip to/from Poipu) then go to Poipu the next day after the tour.

I really want to spend the most of this vocation on North Shore and split the stay based on the number of activities planned on each part of island. I arrive on August 6, want to stay on South until 8/10, then on North 8/11-8/18.

I have difficulty finding a beachfront cottage or condo on North (something similar to KP). Most of them dont have openings on some or all of my days. Any ideas in this direction would be greatly appreciated. Now 4 criteria for a perfect place: safe, clean, walk to Hanalei Beach, cost < $250. (ok no ac and no pool in Hanalei). Or drive 15 min but have AC and poll. Only ground floor. Minimum walking and minimum driving.

I added extra days to my vocation to fully enjoy both South and North, especially dreaming on spending several days on Hanalai Beach.