We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapaa bypass

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kapaa bypass

We're staying at the Plantation Hale in August. What is the Kapaa Bypass?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapaa bypass

Kapaa Bypass is a road that can be taken to avoid the traffic backup on Kuhio Hwy in the Kapaa area

(hit the plus or minus to control the map:

http://tinyurl.com/nfc2dwh

One end is just south of Plantation Hale.

Have to admit I rarely use the bypass. Anytime I thought it was beneficial for me, the bypass itself was backed up where it joined Kuhio on end near Coconut Marketplace / Plantation Hale.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapaa bypass

Last time we were driving back through Kapaa, I took the bypass when I really meant to take the more scenic 581. I'll have to try 581 next time, because I'd like to see the other side of Sleeping Giant.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapaa bypass

we look at the traffic situation as we approach Kapa'a, either coming from the south, or returning from being north. If it looks bad, which it generally is, we like to take the by pass.

If you have the Ultimate kauai guide book, you will be able to see where to go rather easily. Comming from the north, I look for the ONE WAY sign that helps to find the by pass road.....and we are wheels rolling and cruise nicely thru country side back to the main hwy just below the coconut market place.

most times when we have been having lunch at the Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a, we take the by pass and do not sit in that long line of dead stopped traffic . Now, that is our decision, and looking at the long lines of cars on the main highway, others feel differently.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapaa bypass

You will not need the bypass if coming from the south end of the island. You could and should use it if coming from the north to avoid driving through Kapaa certain times of the day. When you get to the end of the bypass near Wailua, you will turn back north (left) and Plantation Hale is on the right next to the Coconut Marketplace. You are kind of in the middle of the bad traffic area. Also be aware they are building a huge Longs Drug Store next to your hotel.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapaa bypass

I use the bypass 99% of the time going south, and it's only been backed up a couple of times, usually when they've just started to take down the contraflow.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapaa bypass

Those of us living North of Kapaa use it most of the time going South and we use it going North during the day. It is hard to figure where to go from the round about going North unless you know the turn, which is the first left after you turn off the roundabout toward Kapaa Town.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapaa bypass

Mea Culpa, its the 2nd left. Forgot the one to the ball field.

8. Re: Kapaa bypass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16