We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach-wedding

minneapolis
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beach-wedding

What is the best southern beach to get married on???

Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach-wedding

Check out this previous post. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k30438…

It might help.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach-wedding

Hi emme7,

I've done some weddings at Shipwreck beach. Each were beautiful. I have my favorite spots there. One is out on the point that juts out a little in the center of the beach. The other is just off the edge of the grassy area, which is nice for the guests if they are wearing nylons and heels. That particular spot allows the guests to be comfortable standing on the grass, while the bride, groom and the officiant (me) can be barefoot in the sand.

Shipwreck is popular because it's handy with nearby parking and of course the restaurants/lounges in the Hyatt for the post wedding celebrations. In my opinion, the drawback for Shipwreck is that it's crowded with beach-goers all afternoon until dinner time, so early morning or evening weddings are best, if you want a little space.

The Mahaulepu beaches are gorgeous, if you like a more casual, secluded setting, but it's a bumpy drive to get there, so don't try to touch up lipstick in the car! (Gillins beach is just a short walk through a sandy trail from the dirt parking lot)

If you are going during a typically rainy reason, you might keep in mind some indoor or protected locations. The Plantation Gardens Restaurant offers wedding packages. www.pgrestaurant.com

You might look into getting married on the Beach House Beach and then having dinner afterwards there. I don't have experience with that particular spot, but maybe others have. I've done weddings just outside of restaurants here on the mainland and it sure is handy to not only take advantage of the view, but also the restaurant's powder room for last minute freshening up.

Or a little further west in Kalaheo is the Japanese Gardens in Kukuiolono Park. I did a wedding there last month and the garden itself is protected from the wind. (Nice to be out of the wind if the bride or groom has long hair.) I think the couple had to pay $50 to use it for the hour we spent taking photos and having the ceremony. It was worth it, I think. Mmmm - they had champange and a peach/mango tart they bought from Anahola Granola in Waimea, in lieu of a wedding cake after the ceremony. Tasty!

Good luck! You can't go wrong starting out your life together on Kauai, no matter what beach you choose. Hopefully others with more varied experiences will share.

Mentioned in this post
Shipwreck Beach
Shipwreck Beach
953 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Plantation Gardens Restaurant
Plantation Gardens...
1,173 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Anahola
Anahola
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beach-wedding

last year there was a wedding in the family on a beach in the UP of Mi and it was nice. Two problems occurred 1) the wind was bad for long hair as stated above and for the elderly. 2) the mininster could not speak loud enough they should have used a loud speaker or a low transmitter and everyone could have had radios. Alot of people could not hear and that was too bad. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach-wedding

Excellent points FrozenSnowman.

Kauai beach weddings are usually so small, that everyone is within earshot and/or the minister can try to speak into the wind, instead of against the wind. Some beaches are windier than others. A curved bay, for example, might have a side that is more sheltered from the wind.

While I always tie up my waist long hair, using hair goop to glue it all in place, and the brides often do the same, that's not always an option for long haired grooms, who might not feel the "updo" looks very masculine. So, there are times when a less windy location is desired.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Resort
2,504 Reviews
Kauai, HI