We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking with awards dilema

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Booking with awards dilema

So I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a decision on when to book my flights to Kauai with miles. I can't find any reliable info on the certainty of being able to book United flights using awards.

We plan on visiting Kauai next April/May. If I want I can book two tickets today using miles to travel April 17-27. May hasn't opened up yet, but for work reasons I would have to book May 15 to either the 24/25th which happens to be memorial day weekend. We plan on splitting our stay between Poipu and Hanalei.

From what I understand the weather on the North Shore could be more reliable in May. I'm having a hard time deciding between booking now, knowing that we can get "free" tickets versus waiting to see what may be available in May.

Level Contributor
9,387 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Booking with awards dilema

We travel to the Islands Dec- March...and do so to escape the brutal weather at home.

If having better weather than at home is a consideration at all.....then April might still be a bonus to get away...if the winter is going to be anything like this year.

The April/May difference in Hawaii...is minimal IMO....not something I would let play into my decision. It is more likely than not going to be lovely ....either month.

Sure...some system can blow in and cause some weather disturbances...but it's weather...nothing you can predict hard and fast.

We have had February visits with clear, dry, sunny weather...where statistically there should have been more rain.

Agree with the others about availability of miles rewards....they can be scarce. Perhaps the May dates will prove to have less availability.....for whatever reason. ....could be chancy....for IMO little weather difference.

Level Contributor
482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Booking with awards dilema

Look for United award tickets into and/or out of HNL. Usually better connections and more available seats, in our experience. April and May should have good availability for several months and it changes DAILY. Don't panic and get the seats as they are available each way. Worse case is you buy one of the tickets if you can't get exactly what you want.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 03:51
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Booking with awards dilema

The airlines don't always release those award fares at 330 days out anymore! I use to be able to wait up to wee hours of the morning to get the dates I wanted, now they release different award itineraries at different days, even months later (at least AA does). I'd book what works for you now, then if the May dates you want come available, I'd put them on hold and call the airlines and see if they can be changed. We had friends who honeymooned on Kauai the first week of May a few years ago and it rained the whole time. You never know what the weather is going to do.

Level Contributor
858 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Booking with awards dilema

We were there from Ap 30 to May 12 this year and it never rained at all. This is the first time this has happened--and I won't count on it again. However, it was really nice!

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Booking with awards dilema

Thanks for the input. From what I can tell at the United site, we can change our tickets for $75 each. My wife is getting close to status and she made the booking, so we may even get to change for free. We booked them for April and will keep an eye out to see the release of awards for our May time frame and then look to change if we decide May is a better option.

Now onto the serious planning, again, thanks for the input everybody!

16. Re: Booking with awards dilema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16