We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

Has anyone had any experience with this ? I have a friend who works for united and is kind enough to allow me to use her buddy pass . I'm a lilttle nervous flying on standby with a toddler and 2 teenagers . I'm flying out of EWR with a layover in Cali . Any thoughts ?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

When are you planning to travel? Busy time or not? To be honest, most flights to Hawaii fly full, especially from the west coast and you may have to be prepared to send the teens on alone to an airport to wait for you...not something I would be comfortable with! I've sat in the boarding area of too many island airports with too many "stand by families" waiting for the possible "next flight". On your own, go for it. With kids in tow I would not try it.

Just me...I hate airport time! :-)

California
Level Contributor
35,525 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

Ugh!!!

Two legs and the chance of being bumped in CA and its more than just you? Risky. It would depend on the day of the week. The airlines are pretty good about letting you know what your chances are. They get buddy pass people all the time (I haven't used it in years) so if they see an almost full flight and the chance of 3 people getting bumped, they will let you know. With a toddler, I wouldn't do it personally, but just be aware you might be paying just as much for accommodations while waiting to get on another flight back home, than if you paid for airfare yourself.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
865 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

My Ohana and I flew on a UA Buddy pass first week of December 2012 what a nightmare, we tried to get home to Kauai From Lax for 3 days ended up having to fly to Maui buy interisland flights, hotel stay, food The discount tickets cost me a fortune, From now on I want to know when I am coming and going.

northeast georgia
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

NO WAY with toddler and kids. I traveled buddy passes a good bit at one time and even flying solo had issues with flights. Flying passes is an adventure and I did get to spend time in some interesting places while I was attempting to get to my destination. We encountered a family of four in LAX last summer attempting to get to Hawaii. They had already missed several days of their rented house on Kauai and were looking at another day of waiting. I had some good experiences with passes but also spent some all day waits and some overnight waits in order to catch an open seat. Also had a friend whose husband was a Delta pilot who was stuck in Fairbanks for four days attempting to secure a flight. Others may think differently but with young kids involved there is no way I can encourage anyone to attempt to use passes to fly to Hawaii. Sorry.

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

Planning on flying 7/3-7/20 . With all this negative feedback I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the tickets .

6. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 20:35
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

You're planning to travel at a very busy time. No way would I rely on a buddy pass, especially with 4 people, including a toddler, in the group.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

4th of July weekend? No way would I risk it. You might get to Cali from Newark, but getting four people on one plane to Hawaii would be next to impossible that week.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

The last time I used a buddy pass I ended up sleeping in the Milwaukee airport for two nights, had to report to each gate for each flight only to be turned away, and ended up on the 10th flight...finally. There were families with kids and I felt so bad for them. Never again will I use a buddy pass! Not worth the aggravation and uncertainty. Oh, and my luggage was lost for four more days. They located it in a city I was not even supposed to go to.

Kris

California
Level Contributor
35,525 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Hawaii on a buddy pass

4th of July. No way! Enjoy the fireworks from New York.