We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips in October

Brea, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Boat trips in October

Hello everyone! :)

My fiancée and I are planning out the itinerary for our honeymoon in the first two weeks of October. I was planning on taking two separate boat trips: the Ni'ihau snorkel trip via HoloHolo charters and the Na Pali dinner cruise via Captain Andy's. Is is likely the ocean conditions permit both of these trips in the first two weeks of October? Originally I was going to go for the Na Pali snorkel trip as well but it seems as though this tour stops before October. As far as I can tell the tours I mentioned about both still do run.

Thanks for your help!

Ashley

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips in October

October, you can check on snorkeling Tunnels up north....from shore...however, and this is a big however, there can be a very strong long shore current in october up on the north shore, and I mean what looks like rapids roaring parallel to the beach. You will be carried away, and many times the lifeguards will warn people to stay out of the water. if not, and it is calm, good north shore snorkeling no big bags of shells for a boat.

Also, the good snorkeling in october would be from shore at Lawai Beach on the south shore. Lawai Beach snorkeling is about the best on the island for marine life.

Holo Holo, you said does not take niihau trips which would be out of the west side in october depending on the ocean conditions. Suggest that you arrive on island, and give them a call and they can let you know if the ocean is behaving. It is a pretty long bash across the channel, and others have commented on that. To some it was worth the long trip, to others, not so much. Very much an individual experience and evaluation.

for a dinner cruise, along the Napali, highly recommend SOUTHERN STAR ( thru capt. andy ) out of port allen for the napali sunset / dinner cruise. Highly, highly recommend.

search Southern Star up on the web, and you will see she is the absolute queen of the fleet, luxuious, table seating, super thick comfortable seating and chairs, fresh cooked steaks in the galley, and superb vessel and crew. Especailly on a honey moon....beats bench seats or no seats, no tables, and paper plates on your lap and juggling your drink on other vessels that also present pre cooked dinners from a caterer on land. Southern Star even serves wine in wine goblets, no plastic cups.

13 Napali tours on all different types of vessels, many different companies, so just FYI, you are totally freee to make your own decisions.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips in October

We went on Capt. Andy's Southern Star dinner Sunset cruise in October and had a perfect sail. We went on a Friday night, then after we came back to Port Allen after the cruise we went across to Hannappee for Art Night. So much fun!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips in October

My late husband and I did the Holo Holo trip to Niihau about 8 years ago. What we did was call the Coast Guard weather service report (listed somewhere in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook) and listen to the report for outer coastal waters. Jim was an experienced sailor and predicted which day would be best and we made the trip. Holo Holo told us it was the first time in over two weeks they were able to make the trip. The snorkeling was good but be warned the ride back is rough and they open up the throttles full so just brace yourself and hang on tight.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips in October

Don't expect superior snorkeling off Ni`ihau - actually, Lehua Rock. You can't visit Ni`ihau without an invitation. Do expect the crossing to be very rough in October.

Better snorkeling off the beaches on Kaua`i. And it's free.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,407 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trips in October

I've done the Na Pali snorkel trip with Holoholo the first week in October before and I'm going again the first week of this October. The snorkeling isn't anything special but I like the rafts a lot. I wouldn't bother with the Niihau trip and as noted if you do run into rough weather the channel crossing isn't pleasant. It's nice to get in the water but for me the mediocre snorkeling off Kauai isn't really the point of these trips, it's the jawdropping scenery.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 23:40
Brea, California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trips in October

Thank you everyone so much for your helpful tips! I think we will do the dinner with captain Andy's for sure and check the ocean reports after we arrive before booking our other boat trip. :) thanks again!!!

7. Re: Boat trips in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16