We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmers Markets

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Farmers Markets

Where are they and what days and from what time until what time on North and on South?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmers Markets

At the following calendar, move your mouse over the market name for time and location:

http://www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-events/

Another listing:

http://www.tastingkauai.com/farmers-markets/

Can not say above is 100% accurate but good start to get familiar and you can ask about a specific market you find of interest.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
797 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmers Markets

So many good ones. Saturday at the Kauai Community College is our favorite. The Tuesday one on the North Shore is also good. I believe there is one everyday somewhere on the island.

Patty

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmers Markets

You're staying in Poipu and Hanalei, yes?

Near Poipu,he Monday 12pm Koloa market is more of a local / traditional farmers market. The Wednesday afternoon Poipu one is more of a gourmet market with demos, samples, etc.

Near Hanalei, there's ones Tuesday and Saturday. The Saturday morning one is popular here.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmers Markets

www.trykauai.com/Kauai_Farmers_Markets.htm

This site shows all the majors along with a few privaltely run markets. There are many other links for various events and things to do as well (along with some ads for those who contribute, I'm sure).

California
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmers Markets

Check out the top questions to the right of your posts. It will answer so many of the questions you are asking.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmers Markets

One thing that was not mentioned, is that you will see all kinds of fruits and produce , some of which I had never experienced before. Porbably the same for most visitors as well. It is like a new adventure.

The vendors at the sunshine markets that we had gone to, were great, and they would explain the fruits that they were selling, and many times have some for you to sample. For us, the sunshine markets were fun as visitors, and still enjoyed them as residents.

Actually, we would get there early, the bell would ring, and in we went. We wound up having our favorite venders for different items, and make an all ahead full dash to those particular tables.

Sunshine ( farmers markets) are fun, and interesting, and have great tasting heathy good treats.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Farmers Markets

In general, do the Farmers Markets sell fresh fish to take and grill? In the (great- btw) above link from BKnox it has another link for "Kauai Fish Markets," but it appears some of these just sell plate meals and aren't fresh fish markets per se. I am aware of Fish Express and Dolphin selling fresh fish to go... looks like Ishihara Market has at least fresh tuna. Does Koloa Fish Market? Are there like roadside locals around selling fish catch of the day too?

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farmers Markets

I've never seen fresh fish at farmers markets in Hawaii, the focus tends to be on the produce.

Koloa Fish Market definitely has fresh fish you can buy to cook. They had ono, monchong, opah, and mahimahi when we went, looking at the photo I took. Plus they have seared ahi by the pound, mini pupu platters, 8-9 types of poke by the lb., poke bento boxes, scallop salad, ocean salad, dessert & drinks to go, in addition to the plate lunches.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kathryn/118634…

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Farmers Markets

Thank you very much for all the answers and awesome links!

California
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Farmers Markets

Yes you will see people on the side of the road selling their catch of the day. I always see a guy at Kealia Beach.