We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Hi. We are planning our second trip to Kauai this August. We will be staying on the north side,but want to do one day trip to the west side. Ideally, we would leave early morning and visit Waimea first. We also want to hike Alakai Swamp.

Is this attainable in a single day? We are all in good hiking shape. Any opinions and other ideas would be appreciated.

Mahalo!

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Yes, that sounds like a fun day! You probably know that the Alakai Swamp hike begins in Waimea Canyon.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

The Hike should take about 4hrs round trip.. Pu‘u O Kila Lookout for the Pihea trail.

The first 1/2 mile is the only difficult part especially if muddy. At a juncture you'll see signs. take the Alakai crossing.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 16:50
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Thank you!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Thank you!

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Joejax is correct, 22kauai is misleading. The Alaka'i swamp trailhead is officially on one of the dirt roads in Kokee, but since it is usually not allowed for rentals to go there, the usual route starts at the Puu o Kila lookout, on the Pihea trail. Follow the Pihea trail along the rim of the Kalalau valley for 1/2 mile. I don't find this part that muddy, it gets really muddy when the trail turns into the forest and there are some roots to climb over. But soon the boardwalk begins and it's easier. In a little while you reach the Alaka'i crossing, a 4-way boardwalk junction in the middle of a pretty native forest. Here, the Pihea trail running roughly north-south crosses the actual Alaka'i Swamp trail running roughly east-west. You'll want to turn left (east) and the Alaka'i swamp trail soon starts descending with boardwalk steps into a small stream valley. Once you cross the stream, there is another section of mud and roots to hike up before you're on the boardwalk again. Then you have a long 1.5 miles mostly flat boardwalk across the actual swampy terrain--it seems to take a long time, so give yourself plenty of time.

Personally, I would drive strait up and do the hike first, then go to Waimea town in the later afternoon for a stroll on the pier, sunset, and dinner. You may want to bring a change of clothes for dinner and wash off at the showers in the Kokee campground restrooms (cold water) or I think Lucy Wright park in Waimea has showers too (it next to the river and the ocean).

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

I wasn't trying to mislead anyone . We drove the road to Waimea Canyon to get to the trail .

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Right, but the road continues beyond the Waimea Canyon itself, to the Kokee state park characterized by the big meadow, forested roads, and Kalalau overlooks. And for the Alaka'i swamp/Pihea trailhead, you need to drive all the up and to the end of the road at the Puu o Kila lookout.

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

Got it.

9. Re: Waimea and Alakai Swamp day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16