We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat assignments on united

new york
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Seat assignments on united

Purchased my tickets and was unable to choose seats except for the ones that you pay extra for . So I did t choose any . Does this mean the plane is overbooked ? I'm traveling with children and I want to make sure we are together especially because its such a long flight . Any advise ?

new york
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Seat assignments on united

I downloaded the app . There are technically four of us including the lap child . I called united and added him not sure If his boarding pass will print out or if I have to still go to the counter and get it .

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Seat assignments on united

Sign up for a free account at expertflyer.com. You can set a seat alert. It checks multiple times daily and emails you if something you want pops up. Worth a shot.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Seat assignments on united

That's great, Suki. Sometimes things happen where they can open up some more seats available to pre-book. Just like how many mileage seats they make available they'll also juggle the number of pre-assigned vs. airport control seats as you get closer to departure.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Seat assignments on united

Suki, with the app you don't need to print boarding passes - they're on the phone. You just hold your phone over the little scanner at the TSA desk and again at the gate and you're in. If you purchased all three tickets together, you can have all 3 boarding passes on your phone - just scan, swipe/scan, swipe/scan and you're done.

I'm amazed at the number of people I see walking through the airport with a smartphone in one hand and a paper boarding pass in the other (I am also amazed at the number of airlines that don't offer mobile boarding passes!).

I can't recall if you'll need a paper pass for the lap child or not - but you'll find out when you check in at the 24 hour mark as it will either show up on your phone or it won't.

The app is particularly handy if you are staying at a condo that doesn't have a printer - no need to check in at the desk at the airport!

TJ - do you use TripIt Pro? I just activated it thanks to the Barclay's Arrival card and I love it! My husband travels for work and it helps me know about flight delays, etc. (boy, do I sound like a commercial there or what?!).

TX
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Seat assignments on united

In my experience it takes a few tries for my phone's United boarding pass to read at the scanner. They even have two TSA podiums one time when I was at the airport: one for electronic pass and one for paper pass. Lo and behold the electronic line was longer in length. Having the app lets me check in w/o printing at hotel/condo. When we check in luggage we print the boarding passes. I know it is a waste of paper but I will try electronic pass when they can speed up the line.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Seat assignments on united

Using the cell phone/ scanner method isn't foolproof. I've been behind people who lost their connection at the last minute or had their phones out to do this but were having problems with it for whatever reason or fumbling for their phones. Comes in handy if you have no access to a printer but I don't see it as any great improvement over having one simple piece of paper. Seems easier to me to print it up and stick it in your pocket or wallet.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Seat assignments on united

IME we needed a paper ticket for a lap infant. It's been at least three years though, things have changed a lot.

blueflamingos - I ditched TripIt Pro for Kayak. So much better at reading confirmation emails. And if you send an update, it (usually) just updates the data, rather than having to merge/delete. Plus Kayak has been much better at informing me quickly about a schedule/flight change (something that 99% of the time I'm hoping for). I should check out TripIt again, as it's been about six months. Might be handy for a backup for our mini-RTW NY/Istanbul/Sri Lanka/Singapore/Japan trip next month. Crazy complicated....

And we're those people with a smartphone in one hand and paper boarding passes in the other. Usually because when we check a bag/stroller/car seat the boarding passes come out, even though we already have them loaded up in Passbook. That and we get a seat for our infant and it's always difficult to check-in online with that.

new york
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Seat assignments on united

U definitely need a lap child boarding pass . This is my sons fourth trip to Hawaii . However this time I used Priceline Vs booking straight through the airline and with Priceline there was no question about how old the children were . It just allowed me to enter the info for the paying passengers . I had to call them and they sent the info over to united . Flying international with a lap child is different because you need to produce their passport and there is usually a charge .

Edited: 08 June 2014, 12:23
29. Re: Seat assignments on united

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:16