We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to Avoid on the Weekends

I've read through a lot of older posts regarding places to avoid on the weekends and the consensus seems to be that beaches such as tunnels and Ke'e will be packed. Is there anywhere/anything else that would be best avoided on a weekday? Our itinerary is fairly flexible at this point. We definitely want to visit the Hanalei Farmer's Market on Sat. morning but other than that our weekend itinerary is open.

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Beaches are the place where the locals go on the weekends, but I wouldn't NOT go to them because its a Sunday. I find areas like Black Pot Beach at Hanalei and Kealia are busier with tents put up and lots of trucks parked for bbqing, but those beaches are so large there are plenty of places to park my chair and umbrella. Ke'e and Tunnels is busy all summer. I don't think there is much difference in the day of the week. The only other day I see a difference on a beach is at Kalapaki Bay on cruise ship day. Even then you can find a place to park and sit.

Oh I just thought of a place to avoid on the weekend!!! Costco!!!!

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

We just returned last night from a wonderful two weeks on the north shore. Other than the popular beaches, as Joan mentioned, we didn't notice any place unusually crowded on weekends. In fact, Hanalei town was unusually quiet on Sunday morning when we went to Waioli Church (beautiful to hear hymns sung in Hawaiian). By the way, another really lovely Sunday event is going to hear Ron & Sandy Mcmaster's play amazing music & talk story at the Community Center in Hanalei at 3:00. And yes, do indeed visit the Farmer's market's and support the local growers. Have a great time and keep that schedule flexible as often the most memorable experiences on the island are not planned. Aloha.

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Just a slight correction, Its Doug and Sandy McMasters and thats a lovely idea for a Sunday afternoon event.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Not sure when you are going but during the summer months when my family usually visits Kauai, we found most of the beaches are more crowded on the weekends than weekdays. With that said, it's nothing like here in So Cal. We visited Poipu Beach Park one year on Father's Day and it was not bad at all. Ke'e, Tunnels, parts of Hanalei Bay and Anini tend to get very busy on the weekends with large groups of locals and their parties. We tend to make our trip to Waimea Canyon on the weekends since it does not seem to change from weekend to weekdays during the summer.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Oops! jebett is right, of course! It is DOUG McMasters ( I have a friend named Ron McMasters)...that's what happens when you get home at 2:00 A.M.!

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

As far as crowds at Hanalei Bay, that is usually only at Black Pot Beach area or if there is a canoe race, surfing event etc. Hanalei Bay Beach is HUGE. It never seems crowded to me at all, not like Poipu Beach. For Anini Beach, keep driving down to where the rental homes are. Don't stop at the main beach. That does get more crowded with weekend campers. Try other beaches like Lumahai, Rock Quarry (Kahili), Kalihaiwai Beach and Hideaways.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

lol jebett - Costco was the first place that came to my mind :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

We don't go to Anahola Beach on the weekend or a long holiday weekend. It's very much a locals beach and we respect that...weekdays, we can have the entire beach to ourselves. The same for Lydgate, most every covered table will be taken...folks who reside on-island need their space too.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

For hikers, weekends are hunting days, but it only impacts a few trails. There are sometimes hunters on the Kalalau trail, and often on the Kukui trail down into Waimea Canyon. I've also seen them on the tunnel hike and jungle hike if you are adventuring in those areas. You will see more locals and their trucks in places like the Keahua arboretum inland of Wailua and the dirt roads of Kokee and Waimea Canyon area. Hunters use the trails and dirt roads to access more remote areas, they don't hunt on the trails. So he trails are not closed, and it is still safe to hike everywhere, but if you are on those trails, stay alert and don't be surprised to see a pack of hunting dogs.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to Avoid on the Weekends

Yep, we prefer the beaches on week days, since the residents are headed to the beaches on the weekends, but it can vary, so just have a good time.

As to kalapaki beach, that also varies, but the cruise ships are now down to one, and that is NCL on thrs and half of friday....but the cruise ship people rent umbrellas and hang out on the far right side of Kalapaki Beach, and we hand from the middle to the left side, and no problem.

Lydgate is also busy on weekends, but on the far right end, near the camp sites , we always find a place to park, and bbq, and no big deal. However, we still pretty much head to the beaches during the weekdays, but do not totally cut out weekends.

Tunnels is a beast for parking, as is ke'e, and it really does not make much difference, there is just too many visitors as well as locals going to these very popular spots.

Hanalei bay beach is about two miles long, and is not a problem finding a peaceful easy spot to lay out your sand chair and enjoy the overall surrounding beauty.

Tunnels is not a people problem, as it is a parking problem and we , as well as most on this forum, park up at heaena beach park , and walk along the shore line back down to tunnesl for snorkeling.

Actually, there are times that we avoid Poipu Beach Park, as it can be quite populated. But, we look at things a bit differently as residents, and need a break sometimes from the thundering herds. Yep, we have our secret places, and do not share them. There are plenty of beaches for the visitors, we need to keep a few for us.

Back to Poipu, as visitors, we did not mind the crowds at poipu beach park, since we were welll used to the Orange County Beaches on weekends, especially when it has been a heat wave inland. So, poipu was not a problem to us......as visitors, we loved it.

Lawai Beach, at the Beach House....our fav on the island for snorkeling....we go around 10:30 am, and sit up on the beach house lawn...manicured grass and trimmed coco plams, wonderful view of the ocean and coast line, surfers , and snorkelers, and the beach itself, which is pretty small. But, many folks like laying out there on the beach.

Secret, is generally quite nice and great views, but limited for water sports. however, it really is a great and beautiful beach.....we have never in 20 years seen in crowded. Parking is on the dirt road leading to the beach, and generally not a problem either.

Plenty of other beaches on all shores for you to enjoy, weekends, or weekdays. The UKG will have them listed.

Hu-oh..gotta get, Erica is back from her errands and it is pool time.

Have fun !