We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hanamaulu gets another black eye

"18,000 gallons of untreated sewage spills into Kauai stream" Wednesday morning.

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25685289/kauai-crews…

Not that swimming there is ever recommended, but "The public is advised to stay out of Hanamaulu Stream and Hanamaulu Bay." We've had a lot of rain on the east side these past weeks, at least one big storm with over an inch of rain each week, and that leads to brown muddy water in the bay and near shore. Now this on top of it all.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Thanks Kauai Hiker.....many times there are no brown water warnings posted by the resorts, even if it is in the Garden Island News, or totally visible to the naked eye.

For the visitors, this situation occurs at river mouths and streams, which is evident from standing on shore looking out at the bay or ocean . We have made it a practice to not go into the ocean at those locations for a few days after the rain storm that caused the contaminatiion situation.

The contimination can be from animals, and/or human waste overflow, and that is not good.

We understand that idea is not a pleasant thought, but the visitors actually should be made aware and thus avoid becoming very ill from going into the water. These warnings include the fresh water streams, and rivers , as well as bay and ocean water near those outlets.

Ocean activities are usually not effected at beaches that are away from the river and stream outlets.

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Its not a place I recommend going anyway even without the warnings.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

I agree about Hanamaulu Bay but to be fair google 'Hanalei Bay pollution' and see that there are few beaches that are as pristine as they would like us to believe. I wouldn't swim in either one! (Or Kalapaki)

Hanalei Bay has serious pollution killing all the reefs.

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Any bay that has a stream flowing into it will have brown water pollution warnings like they did this week.

There are many reasons why the coral is diseased in the reefs. That is just one reason. To get educated go to Coral.org.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

The fact is... Hanalei Bay has high levels of pollution. And not just during sewerage spills.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Not all of Hanalei Bay and not all the time. Black Pot beach by the river, yes...it is notorious for high levels. Here's the Surfrider report and the DOH.

…surfrider.org/what-we-do/…

…hawaii.gov/CleanWaterBranch/…default.aspx

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Hanalei Bay encompasses a large body of water. While I find the water murkier at Black Pot Beach where Hanalei River feeds into I usually find the water pretty crystal clear halfway down the bay at Pavilions Beach Park

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

Yep, the problem is usually at the river or stream mouths, but can expand.

As far as Kalapaki Beach, the huleia river flows into Nawilwili Harbor, and Nawiliwili stream empties at the far rigtht of the beach. After strong storms we just stay out of the water.....but normal conditions we stay about mid beach, and away from the nawilwil stream and we are just fine.

I would imagine it is the same of the hanalei river, which does have high contmaination counts, but down hanalei beach a ways......it should also be just fine under normal conditions.

9. Re: Hanamaulu gets another black eye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17