We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Nova Scotai
3 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Have any of you stayed here? My understanding is the location is in the middle of many day trips. Any experiences to share?

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

WBR is a newer condo complex in the central area of the island. Most condos in Kapaa/Waipouli area are older. It is a nice complex if you have kids as their lazy river pool is among the nicest pools on the island. The restaurant, Oasis, is very good with lovely views.They have a spa for facials and massages and that's where I buy my favorite bath products by Maile. Its in a busy area of the island. You can walk across the street (its the highway actually) to a grocery store and a few restaurants are close by. The downside to this resort is how busy and conjested the area is and the ocean is just rough, year round to swim in. Its great to watch but don't go in. On one side of the resort, they are rebuilding a condo complex so your best bet is to rent an interior unit overlooking the pool. If you really want to be in Kapaa, this is probably the nicest complex.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

We were there 2-3 years back and loved it. The beach was not so much rough at the time, but there were rocks and coral close to shore. You can wade in but full on swimming would not be pleasant. It is beautiful like a Corona commercial and I had the whole beach to myself many times. For a family it is good as the stores etc.. are literally across the street. We never had any issues with long waits due to traffic. This is the unit we had and it should be about as far from the construction as you can get and it faces the opposite direction. It is also on a greenbelt which I loved with little kids. The units are very luxurious with great appliances and way too many bathrooms, haha. kauaicalls.com/waipouli-beach-resort-e105/

Nova Scotai
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Thanks for the info! We will be bringing our 8 year old son so a great pool is a nice bonus. We're not set in stone yet so feel free to add any suggestions.

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

An 8 year old will love their pool. Its very pretty and lots of fun. He can meet other kids there too. The downside is if you want water activities you will be doing a lot of driving and you are forced to drive through the congested Kapaa area. I don't care what anyone says....it can be very backed up in that area almost all hours of the day. Just plan on a little extra time to get anywhere, that's all. I'm not sure when you are arriving, but if during the summer, you will be driving north for the best beach options. From Waipouli area to Hanalei figure on 45 minutes. If you want to visit Poipu, its 45 in the other direction. A few nice activities right near WBR is the bike path, Smith's Luau, Fern Grotto Boat Ride and kayaking to Secret Falls.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Fern Grotto
Fern Grotto
371 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

You can see more pictures of rentals and the resort on this website.

summitpacific.com/kauai/…

They are all linked to Kauai Calls.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Nova Scotai
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Thank you so much for your post! We are going to Maui for a week first and will arrive in Kauai in early August. I'm trying to gather a list of activities, beaches and restaurants from the many posts here.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,012 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Even though jebett doesn't care what I say :-) I will tell you that Kapa`a is not backed up all the time. The problem I find is that it's inconsistent. You're generally OK going either direction before 10:30 AM. After that, it usually surprises me. Sometimes a lunchtime backup, sometimes not.

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

<<Even though jebett doesn't care what I say :-) I will tell you that Kapa`a is not backed up all the time.>>

Hahahahaha!!! True.....:-)

but you have to admit there are two pretty bad areas of the island where it backs up. Well three really... 1. is as you enter Kapaa Town from the north. Sure I have breezed by it at maybe 11am but try going through Kapaa at 5-6pm and often earlier. The second is in front of Coco Palms after you get off the bypass. The reason is there are two stop lights and merging from the bypass. The third is near the junior college near Macy's. Its getting better there since they made the highway wider but near the hospital it can get crowded.

Of course this is all relative. Its not LA traffic but remember to always give yourself extra time if you decide to go through Kapaa for dinner or because you are staying there. It has taken me over an hour to get through the 2 mile stretch especially if there's an accident. Follow Kong radio for traffic updates.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

It's about equi-distant to, say, Hanalei and Poipu. But you wouldn't be in the middle between the north shore and the west side or the canyon. Figure about another 30 minutes from Poipu to the road that leads up to the canyon and more if you want to go further west or Polihale Beach. It''s closer to the north shore which is fine because that's probably where you'll be heading for routine trips to the beach.

Unit location is the key at WBR. Choose carefully to avoid road noise.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa

Stayed there twice. Both times facing pool with ocean view (but not right ON ocean). We were third floor. Amazing views of ocean and torch lit pool at night. Great place for kids. Pool is stellar. Beautiful units. One bedroom has two bathrooms. Units have all the amenities including washer, dryer, granite kitchen, full frig, a/c (which is RARE on Kauai ). Can't lose with this place. It's not cheap but we bought fresh fish at farmers markets and ate in the condo frequently and saved money. You'll love it.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii