We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay? Suggestions

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay? Suggestions

Heya,

I'm currently in the process of deciding which Island to go to (Kauai vs Maui)... but I believe Kauai is the one I will head too. As much as I would like my 30th birthday (aka a milestone) to be super special... I have a budget due to a Safari I'm planning in January....

There will be two of us (both female) - me (will turn 30 August 3) and mother (57). Dates: July 31 (will land in Kauai at 7-8PM) and leave sometime in August 9 - so 9 nights. We also plan on renting a car (fingers crossed there is GPS in the car).

Basically I need help deciding where to stay and at what. My initial thoughts were resort or hotel. But I got a great suggestion in the main forum for condos. So here's what I'm HOPING for in terms of location:

1- On a beach (hopefully - this would be a dream)

2- Close to shopping (not sure what type of shopping there is)

3- Has parking space (since we're renting a car)

4- PREFFERABLE wifi - but not a necessity

5- Don't want to spend over $300/night x9 nights - again I am on a budget...

6- Close to activities... things I want to do so far include:

-Kauai's Premiere Air & Sea Combo Tour - https:/…air-sea-combo-tour.php

- Perhaps another Na Pali boat tour... not sure

-Kayaking in Wailua - http://kayakwailua.com/adventure.html

-Waimea Canyon (not sure if we're doing this on our own or through a operator)

-Culture tour (no idea what to do here too)

-Restaurants

-OTHERS (will be another post asking for activity suggestions since I'm Hawaii Naive)

Any suggestions? I read the "north shore" is absolutely fantastic - I believe that is Hanalei/ Princeville location??? Eitherway I took a quick look and all the condos seem rather expensive (at least the ones with a view)... unless I'm not looking right

Problem looking at tripadvisor is, I don't know what's on the beach and what not. Also when I add "parking" as an amenity - the list shrinks by 90% - do condos really have no parking? Or just forgot to add to description? Finally my problem with condos is the price really adds up - there is cleaning fees, resort fees, mid cleaning fees and almost 14% tax (this really adds up quickly)...

Help? Suggestions? Any advice is appreciated

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

You can get a nice condo on a beautiful, swimmable beach within walking distance to some of the best shopping and restaurants at Kiahuna Plantation--all within your budget. You can rent directly from a private owner such as this: www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com or rent from Castle or Outrigger. You might also find something at the Sheraton which is next to KP. On the North Shore, the only condos directly on the beach are Hanalei Colony Resort--a short drive to great snorkeling beaches and Hanalei. www.hcr.com Both of these resorts have parking as do all that I'm aware of.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

A lot of people don't like this book but I've found the aerial photos of the condos/resorts to be very helpful in determining whether or not a property is actually on the beach.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Also, you're possibly running into a supply and demand problem. Kauai just does not have as many beachfront condos as Maui, if you are comparing prices. You may have to "settle" for oceanfront or just ocean view or near a beach but not directly on. Are you dreaming of a place where you can walk out onto the sand from your patio door in less than a minute?

Will you and Mom be sharing a bed? Or are you looking at 1 BR units with a sofa bed? Or units with two twins?

Does your $300/night account for accommodations tax at 13.42%?

Edited: 06 June 2014, 03:45
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Yep, Kiahuna Plantation is going to have everything you want. Long story, but I believe all units at Kiahuna managed by Castle have pool access.....those managed by Outrigger do not. Make sure you ask. There are other oceanfront complexes in Po‘ipu, but not on a swimmable beach.

Condos on the North Shore will be in Princeville which is up on a cliff......many condo complexes, some units with unbelievable views. It's a very short drive to wonderful North shore beaches, restaurants and some shopping. In Princeville I would look Hanalei Bay Resort....one of our regular posters, owns there and can help you decide on a unit. There's several different configurations.

Don't worry about GPS...it's an extra charge and you don't need it. The island is pretty simple to navigate as there is one main hwy...it ends North at Ke'e Beach and ends West just past Polihale Rd (does not go all the way around). The maps from the rental agency will get you where you need.

For condos, I would start with vrbo.com

For a recommended on-island agency - Parrish Kauai

Waimea Canyon you do on your own. It's not a hard drive, lots of places to stop.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 03:51
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

I've never seen or heard of a condo on Kauai that DIDN'T have parking (at least one space - sometimes you run into problems with more than one car), so the reason it's not coming up in your search is that folks don't think to mention it since it's a given.

Your first paragraph reads like you're disappointed to be going to Kauai... I hope your research makes you change your mind!

Summit Pacific is a good place to start looking for North Shore rentals - many Hanalei Bay Resort properties are listed there.

I'm a big fan of Nihi Kai Villas (though I haven't gotten a chance to stay there yet!) - while not on the beach they are just a short stroll (large complex so some are closer than others) and many have amazing ocean views - PLUS you can get a nicely remodeled 2 BR unit for around $200 (or less on VRBO).

KP has very few 2 BR units, so to second Kathryn's question - are you planning to share a room?

No need for GPS if you have a smart phone - just use Google maps. The Ultimate Kauai Guide has the best maps of the island (though I'm not a fan of the author's flippant know-it-all tone...).

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Yes, 3chi's, I agree that KP has everything they're looking for. The walk to the beach will be 5 min. to 30 sec. depending on the location of your unit. My son's in-laws recently reserved two units through a TA; I just talked to them and warned them about the pool situation. They definitely wanted use of a pool, but found out that, no, they were with Outrigger--no pool. Seems like the travel agent would have informed them of this.

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

The first thing you need to decide is north or south. That is #1.

Then you need to decide how important things are to you. Do you really care that much about close to a shopping center? If so Maui might appeal to you more. There is shopping in every town but its not Wailea.

It is my opinion that taking a boat trip out of the North Shore is the way to go in August. You can kayak on the North Shore too. All condos have parking spots so don't even worry about that one.

It sounds like you need a 2 bedroom unless you don't mind sharing a bed or find a one bedroom with a sofa sleeper.

Here's the website for Hanalei Bay Resort rentals and also look at Pali Ke Kua and Puu Poa too if the North Shore still appeals to you after more research. Hanalei and the North Shore is more of a laid back vibe.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com

If you find one that looks good at all at Hanalei Bay Resort, let me know since I am an owner there and I know the good ones and the bad ones. No matter if you choose Poipu, you will be visiting the North Shore a lot is my bet.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Everyone thanks for the info - @jebett thanks for the link!!

I'll start looking at locations - I feel like my interest lies in the north shore so I'll focus there first and hopefully find something inside of my budget. We actually don't mind sharing a bed (as long as it's not smaller than a queen size LOL). I'd like to stay @Hanalei if possible because it looks gorgeous (I'm sure there are many other locations in the north shore I haven't considered). Before reading these posts + seeing link I was considering Hanalei Surfboard House for $325/night (I believe it's a beach front... unsure of which beach and if it's swimmable/activities) - which comes up to be in the $368/night (that is with the 13.25% tax... unsure if there's other taxes involved..a little over my budget but I thought I could make it work) - what are your thoughts on that place while I start looking at possible others?

Thanks!!

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Hanalei Surfboard House is on Weke Rd. In Hanalei and a very short walk to beautiful Hanalei Bay. It's not on the beach side, but still very close and very cute. If there are openings, I think it would be perfect. You might also want to look at www.beachkauai.com to see if anything is available.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Oh God… I think I’m rather late… checked both links out and searched by dates… got

@22kauai’s – no rentals available

@jebett – a few rentels… in terms of Hanalei Bay Resort and Pali Ke Kua – got 1 hit for each. For Hanalei Bay – unit 7305 and Pali 144.

Hanalei Link: http://www.summitpacificinc.com/7305.html

Pali Link: www.summitpacificinc.com/pali-ke-kua-144.html

I also looked into Hanalei Colony Resort (on the beach) as someone mentioned on this forum – on “third party sites (ex: expedia), they have the a "Room1 Deluxe Condo, Ocean View"" for $295/night + $42.39 taxes = $337.39 which is okay too (can't find pictures of the rooms/space)

Any thoughts so far? Which location is best for beach/water activities/possible night life/restaurants etc?

Thanks

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,414 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay? Suggestions

Regarding Hanalei Colony Resort. There are pictures on their website www.hcr.com. I can also post some when I get to my computer. We've stayed there many times.