We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

am i too big for a helicopter ride?

colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
am i too big for a helicopter ride?

being 6'1 and 265 lbs am I too big for a helicopter ride without buying an extra seat?

- we are leaving in 2 weeks so i wont lose enough LBS to be 250 lbs.

my only other option is to do the plan tours. has anyone else gone through this?

thanks

Na Pali Catamaran
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Blue Dolphin Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai Sea Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,010 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

You're fine with Wings Over Kauai...it's a fixed wing plane. Many of us on this forum absolutely LOVE these people and the tour, including me!

https:/…kauai-air-tours.php

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

WOK is awesome.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

Wings over Kauai is awesome. Bruce runs a great operation.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

Yep, but as others have posted, you certainly can fly with WINGS OVER KAUAI or AIRVENTURES.

The both fly the ausie G-8 high wing aerovan.....every passenger has their own single seat and window.

A narrow center isle seperates the seats in the passenger cabin and you have large viewing windows.. if planning on taking photos on your circle island tour, wear dark clothing to avoid reflections on the plexiglass.

With wings over kauai, and we also think the world of Bruce, and his family, the ladies will receive a kukui -nut lei, and after the flight you will receive a DVD, previously professionally produced to share with freinds back home showing the beautiful Garden Island of Kauai. Actaully, they will take your photo with their camera, and yours as well. But their photo of you, they process and place that photo of you and the plane in the plastic dvd holder front cover for you to take with . Very cool.

You will fly roughly the same flight path of the helicopters, and when we flew with them, Bruce flew in 'slow flight' and not at cruise speed so that the passengers have more time and opportunity to enjoy the views.

You also will be wearing head sets and mic, and not only hear Bruce's narations, but every once in a while, he will talk with each person individually.

You all, will be seeing areas of the island that you would not otherwise witness from driving, hiking, or boat trips. H\owever, we also suggest a Napali Coast boat tour as well, and we did both . Actually, several times now over the years.

Added perk with the money saved with the fixed wing instead of a helo, you can add in a Capt. Andy Napali Tour, or other boat company, and put some of that savings toward that must do adventures as well.

Welcome to kauai

Edited: 08 June 2014, 02:29
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

great advice about wearing dark clothes!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

Sounds like the helicopter might be your first choice. If so, why not just call them and ask the weight question. I'm pretty sure they get this question a lot.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

Normally, helis charge 1/2 price of the second seat, not full price. They do take one less person. I would call though-because there might be a little "wiggle" room, depending on your proportions etc. It can't hurt to try!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

You should be fine with Mauna Loa Helicopters. Per their website:

Total weight per seat shall not exceed 275 lbs. Total weight for all passengers shall not exceed 600 lbs. Per FAA regulations, ALL passengers will be weighed at check-in. (NOTE: Seat assignment may be subject to weight and balance restrictions of the aircraft.)

9. Re: am i too big for a helicopter ride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:17