We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Thank you to everyone for the valuable advice and help with my previous questions. Now I got my 1st part of itinerary together and would like your suggestions. Will stay first 3 days at the Marriott Kauai in Lihue (it might change) then 8 days in Princeville and then again 1 day at Marriott prior to departure early morning. 1st part of vacation is busy with tours and 2nd (Hanalei part) is mostly beach/snorkeling.

So this is preliminary itinerary for East/South during 1st 3.5 days of our vacation:

August 6 Wed:

arrive at 2pm

pick up a car (booked)

Walmart to get water shoes

Snorkel Bob or Boss Frog to rent snorkel gear

Cafe Coco for gluten free lunch (my daughter is gluten free and I am vegetarian)

if we have time will see Opaeka falls and or Wailua Falls

Smith luai "show only" 7:30-8:45pm

Check in to hotel at 9pm

August 7 Thursday:

breakfast at Sweet Maries and to buy gluten free cookies for the next few dasy

Helicopter tour at 11am (be there at 10:45, will be done at 12)

Drive to Poipu beach or Lawai beach (30 min) for swimming/snorkeling for 2 hours

snacks on the beach

see Spouting Horn

Allerton Garden sunset tour 4-7:30pm. Appetizers there for dinner, then fruits/snacks

Back to hotel at 8-8:30pm and sleep

August 8 Friday:

Waimea canyon tour (Roberts or Pono tour), leave as early as possible

on evening relax at the hotel pool or beach

(or less likely Hanapepe Art 6-9pm- considered it but will probably be tired by then)

August 9 Saturday:

breakfast in our room (cereal)

check out from hotel, leave luggage in the trunk

backcountry tubing adventure 9am-12pm, lunch included. My daughter is very interested in this.

?Costco to buy fruits etc. or can I buy it at Princeville.

Leave at 2pm to drive to Princeville

check in to condo in Princeville

Dinner at Postcards (gluten free)

Sunset at Hanalei Beach.

Questions:

1. Should anything be added/removed/changed?

2. Where to buy gluten free cereal for breakfasts, almond milk and fruits? Does Walmart have it? Costco- I am not a member but might become one if needed?

3. will we have time will see Opaeka falls and or Wailua Falls on the day of arrival - I am ot sure about driving times/traffic etc

4. With the itinerary as above it might be better to choose different/less expensive hotel (I prefer to spend money on experiences/activities rather then on amentities) and which one?

Pros of Marriott: nice beautiful hotel very close to airport and on the nice beach. Has A/C.

Cons: cost. We will not need the restaurants at Marriott and unlikely will be on a beach tere for more than 2hours. We will stay at Marriott on the last day of our vacation and will enjoy a beach near it and a pool then to have a happy ending to this trip but for the first busy 3 days might be happy at any clean quiet place with A/C.

Considering Sheraton Poipu vs Aston islander on the beach vs Kauat Beach Resort vs ? I assume condo in Poipu is not an option for 3 nights only, plus cleaning fee, and we will not use kitchen during those 3.5 days except refrigerator and will have only few hours for the beach so ok without being beachfront. Any ideas here will be appreciated. 4 criteria for a place to stay: clean, quiet, has A/C, easy to drive to/from.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

If you plan to do Wailua Falls, do it after Walmart stop as road leading to falls relatively close to Walmart.

(look at map in guidebook you indicated previously that you bought)

After you get snorkel gear at one of the places you mention, head back south and after you pass Coconut MarketPlace on left, you can have your daughter watch on riight and a little ways the first area on right when you start seeing businesses is where Cafe Coco is but it sets back a ways from the road so hard to see it. Just make note of location and continue south to second traffic light and turn right on Kuamoo Road as I suggest doing Opaeka Falls before Cafe Coco.

As you head up Kuamoo Road, up a ways is Opaeka Falls parking lot on right. While there, use crosswalk to go over and see overlook of Wailua River. As you head back from Opeaka Falls, a short distance on right is a pull off in Wailua River State Park for another site to overlook the Wailua River and read some signs explaining history of the area.

Cafe Coco does not open until 5 pm and you can not enter nearby Smith's until about 7:30 pm for 8 pm show so looks like have plenty of time for first part of itinerary and a leisurely dinner.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Why are you checking in so late to the hotel? You really don't want your luggage to be in the car that entire time, do you? You don't need to rent to snorkel gear the second you get on the island. There are so many places to rent it when you need it. Since Cafe Coco doesn't open for lunch, if you need a lunch spot try Mermaids in Kapaa.

You can buy gluten free items and almond milk at Foodland, Times Market or Safeway. Avoid going to Costco if you can because the sizes are too large and if you are the Marriott there is no room to store it.

The Marriott is a very nice hotel. You SHOULD enjoy it. The pool is gorgeous, the beach a lot of fun, good walkable area. I wouldn't choose Islander right now. Too much going on. Kauai Coast Beach is a very nice hotel and its next to Islander. You can rent a one bedroom with kitchen. The Sheraton will probably be even more than the Marriott but Poipu is great. Kauai Beach Resort is ok. Its a bit isolated and hard to drive out of onto the freeway and I know how you aren't thrilled about driving anyway but the pool is great.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Jebett and CTinAZ, thanks a lot!! Excellent ideas, added all of them to my itinerary.

Is there any problem with keeping luggage in my car trunk and not opening it in public? I hope it will be safe. I'd like to save valuable time on island and do not drive to/from hotel just to get rid of luggage there unless it is unsafe to leave it in the car.

Are Foodland, Times Market or Safeway on east or North shore?

Will not go to Costco, and use tis time to see Falls.

I removed KBR and Islander from the hotel options.

What other less expensive clean quiet hotels with A/C and easy to drive to/from? Garden island inn? Cortyard by marriott? what else?? Not sure it is a best investment to pay double for marriott and be there only during sleep.

We do NOT need during those busy 3 days: full kitchen, pool, TV, onsite restaurants, beachfront location.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Safeway - east side. Foodland - east side and Princeville. Times - Lihu`e and Koloa (south)

The Courtyard Marriott is pretty nice. Garden Island Inn is perfectly fine, but I don't know if they have a/c. Another option near the Marriott is the Kaua`i Inn, but you'd have to drive a few minutes to shopping/restaurants/ beach. It's walkable but a bit of a hike.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

The courtyard is pretty nice and a beautiful beach that you can't swim in, plus not that sandy so sharp old coral and hardened lava. What you may like is at the north end of the property there is a traffic light so making a turn will be no problem..

Edited: 09 June 2014, 21:46
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

There is no traffic light coming out of the Courtyard Marriott. If you need to turn left you can pull across the first lane and into the center turning lane pretty easily.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Well, people always say they're not going to be in their room much but reality is they usually do end up spending more time relaxing at their hotel after running around all day than they expected they would. And what nicer than to be able to come back to that resort hotel that offered what many people dream of in a Hawaiian vacation. I don't know your daughter but I can only say that my kids got stir crazy with too much running around and couldn't wait to get back to a pool and fun beach wherever we stayed in the Hawaiian islands. The amenities at these resorts can be worth every penny that some of these activites charge and more.

So I'd check out the garden units at the Sheraton too. These are the best bang for the buck in for a hotel in Poipu. Right on one of the best south shore beaches, 2 pools, and lots in walking distance including medium and cheap places to eat. I'd say the same for the Marriott though too. It's nice to stay at a hotel where you can walk to shops and restaurants after driving around in the car all day. Both hotels fit this description.

Up to you of course. Just wanted to give you another side of it.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

KBR (the condos or the hotel) would probably be the most economical and we don't find it too hard to get out of. They do have a merge lane there, so you only have to get across one direction of traffic at a time. It is somewhat isolated, but that's one of it's charms. It's location also makes it nice for going north or south---and you only have to go through Lihue or Kapaa, but not both. Marriott has a great pool and beach, but you're paying for them. If you're not going to use them, why stay there? The waterfalls will be very doable on your arrival day. We've also stayed a few nights at Plantation Hale by Kauai Coast Resort. It's a condo complex with a portable AC unit which has half the air directed into the bedroom and half into the living room and pretty reasonable. Of the choices you listed, I'd go with Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa if it's in your budget. It's condos, too, but it also has central AC and a heated pool. Great location for walking over to Coconut Marketplace and a nice beach to walk along.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

Just to clarify, each condo at the Kaua`i Coast Resort has its own central a/c.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary in August to for mom and 11 years daughter

I would not recommend Plantation Hale. Ugh! You are right next to construction, the backside of the units face the highway and its just not that nice to ME. Go right across the street and you fall asleep to the sounds of the crashing waves vs the crashing cars.

At Kauai Coast Beach Resort I so enjoyed coming back from a busy day and sitting in the hammocks watching the moon and the stars, being able to walk over to the marketplace for dinner and an ice cream, and then sit by the firepits. Its really was a lovely complex. The pool is small but nice with a waterfall, hot tub and kids pool. They have a snack bar that is open in the afternoons, the restaurant Hukilau Lanai is one of the best on the island and the staff was nice. Even the studio room I stayed in was nice. It was the same size as Islander's rooms, but nicer. I also like Courtyard but at KCR you can have an actual one bedroom with a kitchen for about the same price. I booked through Hotwire for the best rate but if you do that its non refundable. I needed just one night but I would go back there for sure.