We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

United States
Level Contributor
964 posts
316 reviews
Save Topic
Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

My wife and I were repeatedly receiving the offers in the mail to stay at the Westin in Maui and Palm Desert but really wanted to return to Kauai for a change of pace. We had been to Maui (3) straight years with various friends & family at VRBO condo rentals. I was ready to get back to a resort and enjoy the poolside beverage service.

I saw a posting here on Trip Advisor that it may help to go to the Westin/Starwood site and start searching for availability at the resort(s) we were interested in visiting so that's what I did a few months back. I don't know if if was just a coincidence or not but we just received one of the 5 night offers for the Kauai Princeville resort!! As soon as my wife gets home and we can pick some dates, I'm booking the trip.

For those not aware, it's (5) nights in a studio villa for $798. A timeshare tour is NOT required but they do throw in some freebies ($75 resort credit and an Avis discount) if you attend the presentation. The rate comes out to about a $500 savings on the dates we want to go so it's not the deal of the century but still a good deal. Just thought I'd share just in case others want to try the same route to getting offers sent to them.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,489 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai Grill
Kauai Grill
783 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

Its a good deal, but I have had many friends do this offer and they were bombarded by the timeshare folks calling 3 times a day until they finally had to call the GM and tell them to stop. You also have the option to upgrade to a nicer room (probably one that isn't a parking lot view) for quite a bit more. One friend said they had to do that because they were stuck with the worst room possible. I've done a few of these (the last was in Newport Beach) and we had the honor of looking out to wires. It was a horrible and they refused to move us.

BTW, I have gotten these promos (mostly for Maui and Palm Desert) almost weekly the last few months.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

We did the Westin Maui deal last September. Got a free upgrade from a studio to a 1-BR, but still overlooked a parking lot on the mauka side of the resort. Doubt we'll get another such offer though, because the way we avoided the timeshare sales calls was to sign up for the spiel our last full day there, then not show up for it.

Shoulda held out for Kauai. Dang......

Edited: 10 June 2014, 00:32
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

>> bombarded by the timeshare folks calling 3 times a day <<

Another easy fix - just give them your home or work number, rather than your cell.....

California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

<<Another easy fix - just give them your home or work number, rather than your cell.....>>

They bombard you in your room at The Westin. Kind of tough to avoid that!

I think Westin has a waiting period until you can use another deal. At least they used to. They figure the more you go, the more likely you will buy. Westin Kauai is about $52,000 to buy a timeshare.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

>>>Another easy fix - just give them your home or work number, rather than your cell.....<<<

I've not gone for any of this time share stuff, but I had friends who did in Las Vegas. The sales calls came on the room phone...several times a day, early evening and messages.

Edit - ahhh, so I see it's the same in Kauai. NOTHING could be worth the aggravation of a time share speil...

Edited: 10 June 2014, 01:07
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

At The Westin its the concierge who calls. So you think they want to help you with dinner reservations or a cruise but nope.....wanna come and waste 2 hours of your life?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

Well we used the offer and had a blast! It was a perfect way to extend our stay on Kauai. We are owners on Maui so took the opportunity to get points for pissing off the sales staff by saying "NO". FYI, you do not HAVE to attend a presentation. I ignore telemarketers at home too.

Go, don't answer the phone, and enjoy a fun resort. Our studio unit was ground floor right beside the adult hot tub, which we greatly enjoyed. Very clean, tis a Westin after all, with great service and a really, really good on-site restaurant.

It's a good deal, go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

They knew you were coming and only the best for Mamma!!!

alberta
Level Contributor
233 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

I can't comment on the Princeville resort, but I took advantage of a 5-day offer from Starwood this past February at the Desert Willow Resort in Palm Desert. The particulars were the same as you mention above, including the $75 resort credit. There was absolutely no obligation to attend the sales presentation... I verified that several times before I left.

Once we got to the Westin Desert Willow, it was an entirely different story. The pressure to attend the sales presentation was very high, and we put up with a 45-minute standoff with the concierge upon arrival. This was after a long travel day before we could even get to our room.

The concierge at the Desert Willow also tried to withhold our $75 resort credit if we did not attend the sales presentation. I had it in writing that the resort credit was not contingent upon attending the presentation, so after giving that to the concierge, she reluctantly handed over our credit with a dirty look. Even then, she still continued to try to badger us into attending the presentation and didn't want to take no for an answer.

We also received a suite in what was probably the worst possible location in the resort. We spoke to a couple of other people who had also booked the same offer, and we all got ground-floor suites next to the parking lot with no view, far from amenities. Not only did the offer convince me that I didn't want a Westin time share, but it convinced me not to stay at that resort again. The resort was beautiful, but I wouldn't take the chance of being assigned such a lousy room location again.

These deals are great if you have a thick skin and don't let the unpleasantness get to you. Maybe you'll be luckier than we were and have no problems. However, I just thought I'd give you the benefit of our experience with one of these great-looking Westin deals.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Received the Westin offer for Princeville... :)

Your experience was EXACTLY like ours at Newport Beach and a friend here in my town at the Kauai location. Unreal!!!

I was suprised they had us staying in the dungeon of the resort when they were trying to sell us on the resort. I thought to myself "I would never buy here if this is what they are putting us in". Looking a fence and wires was not my idea of a vacation.

Mentioned in this post
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI